Chapter 1

Preface

Abbie was by the jungle gym outside of school, waiting to walk home with Henry. All the buses left already and all there was left was the kids waiting to get picked up by their parents, which wasn’t many. The mini playground in the school’s front yard was empty and quiet. It was a cloudy day, the breeze was starting up and Abbie loved the weather. At least it won’t be so hot when me and Henry go home, she thought. As Abbie looked up at the sky she saw the dark clouds above her, which worried her. She didn’t want it to rain, especially since Abbie and Henry were walking home and when it rains usually the lighting and thunder start kicking in, and she hated thunder and lighting. The sound and flashes frightened her.  Abbie didn’t like the thought that there would be a chance of thunder and lightning today, so she looked down at her feet; playing with her brand new Barbie designed shoes to distract herself. She was so happy about her new shoes, she wanted to show Henry her new shoes and how they flashed lights every time she took a step. She was starting to get a bit impatient though, why was he taking so long? She thought. It’s been 12 minutes since the bell rang from the Elementary School Building, did he forget to meet up with her at the Jungle Gym? Did Henry forget that I was going to his house today? She thought while playing with her shoes.

“ABBIE!!!” She heard from a distance.

Abbie turned around to see that it was Derek, she smiled and waved at him, “Derek what are you doing?”

“I’m waiting for my mom to pick me up, what are you doing carrot head.” He teased her, rubbing her bright natural red head.

“STOP IT DEREK!!!” She pushed him away.

“I’m just kidding!” He laughed, as much as Abbie hated being teased about her natural bright red hair she ended up just laughing with Derek.  

Derek is 9 years old, which is one year older than Abbie. He has brown hair and has very unique eyes. They’re brown but in the light you can see it had a hint of yellow sort of an amber color to it, which fascinated Abbie. Derek looked like the type of kid you’d see in a cereal commercial. He’s adorable, all the boys at the elementary school were friends with him or wanted to be and all the girls were in ‘puppy love’ with him. The only downfall was that Derek was sometimes a bully. There was this weird charm about him though that allowed him to get away with it.

“What are you doing here?” Derek asked.

“I’m waiting for Henry, I’m going over to his house today!” She replied with a smile.

“Eww you’re going to Creepers house!” He started to tease Abbie again.

Derek and all of his friends tease Henry and call him Creepers because Henry is a very quiet and shy person at school. He’s always so pale and boney looking. He tried to hid he’s facial expressions at school and his long raven black hair only made him look even more grim looking. The only people he talks to at school are the teachers and Abbie, but even than he whispers to them.

“His name is Henry!” She said, getting angry with Derek.

“CREEPERS HOUSE, CREEPERS HOUSE, CREEPERS HOUSE!!!” He pranced around Abbie, getting her more upset.

“STOP DEREK, Henry might hear you!!!” She loudly whispered, looking around for Henry.

“You like Creepers don’t you!” He laughed, making Abbie’s face turn all red.

“NO I DON’T” Abbie Shouted at him.

“Yes you do!”

“NO I DON’T DEREK!!!”

“ABBIE LIKES CREEPERS, ABBIE LIKES CREEPERS!!!” Derek ran around singing loudly, while Abbie tried to catch him.

“NO I DON’T!!!”