Chapter 3

Dua sat in a chair, face in her palms. She in what looked to be a dressing room, facing the mirrors. She sniffled softly into her hands. The restaurant was split into silence and commotion. Down the backstage hall she sat alone. Wilson convinced me to go back and check up on her. I stopped at the beginning of the hallway taking a deep breath. Slowly I walked toward the room. Her muted cries somehow got the tiniest bit louder the closer I got to her. She was wearing a golden dress, her hair split down the middle. I knocked on the door of the room.

"Dua?" I say softly. She quickly wipes her tears and stands up trying to compose herself.

"I'm sorry I don't know what got into me I just-"

"Dua" I say grabbing her hand. She looks at me, almost helpless, and throws herself into me. She just cries, and I hug her tightly. I don't ask her why she's crying, I just let her.

"I'm sorry" she says quietly.

"Shh, don't apologize, it's okay." I say stroking her head. She steps back from me and sits in her chair. I grab another chair from the room and sit in front of her.

"I guess you wanna know why I'm crying." she laughs lightly, whipping her eyes.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to." I reassure her. I don't want her to feel pressured.

"No I-I should." she takes a deep breath. "I'm not in a healthy relationship Andi." she says, her voice breaking. My curiosity turns to worry.  I grab her hands.

"Dua did he hurt you? Did he-did he hit you?" my voice was shaking. And I know my hands were too, because I could feel them on hers.

"No he didn't. But he takes home different girls every night Andi and I can't do anything about it because he raises his voice and threatens to hurt me and I can't-" she was sobbing at this point. My anger was rising.

"He's my agent. If I leave or say anything, my career is over. And I left on a rough patch with my last agent and he's not going to take me back now" she explains. I sit back in my chair.

"I bet he will." I say confidently. I pull out my phone and call Wilson, putting him on speaker.

"Hey is everything okay?" he asks immediately. Dua looks at me jaw dropped.

"Yeah, everything is fine Wilson. Do you think Dua could stay at our place tonight? You guys have some things to talk about anyway." I keep my eyes locked on Dua, smirking.

"Okay thanks, yeah we're coming out, okay bye" Dua looks at me smiling. She cocks her head to the side.

"Why are you doing this for me?" she asks. I'm caught off guard by the question. I grab her hand.

"I don't want you to ever feel trapped again." our eyes lock together, and we both lean in to each other, until I can almost feel her warmth.

"Dua what the fuck are you doing?" I hear a loud, distant voice behind me. I see absolute horror and fear in Dua's eyes. I turn around and see a man trudging down the dark hallway, knocking down things in his path. I keep Dua behind me.

"I don't go with you for one gig and you're all of a sudden kissing dykes?! What the fuck is wrong with you? You're dating me! I'm you're fucking agent! I can ruin your career!" Calvin got louder and louder, his feet now at the doorway. He pushes me and I hit the wall wincing. I push him back, though I don't have nearly as much strength as him. He punches me, his fist connecting with my cheek. He punches me again, in my stomach, which causes me to fall.

He grabs Dua by her wrist, yelling at her. His face was redder than anything I had ever seen. I couldn't hear him. But Dua's voice is something I won't ever miss.

"Calvin let go you're hurting me! Please stop!" Her voice of helplessness and fear was enough to get my adrenaline pumping. I stood to my feet and punched him, dead in his face.

He held his nose, screaming.

"You broke my fucking nose! You're fucking dead! I'm gonna kill you faggot!" Calvin stumbles out the door, blood dripping down his hands and face.

I stumble back into the chair, my adrenaline fading away. The pain from the punches kick in. Dua sits in front of me, resting her forehead on mine, tears falling down her face. Wilson runs in the room, after seeing a broken Calvin exit. He takes out his phone and calls an ambulance.

"I'm so sorry" Dua whispers. I bring my hand to hers, and look at her wrist. It was bruised, with Calvin's hand imprinted on her skin. A tear fell from my cheek to her hand. She put my hand in both of her palms, and kissed it.

Men in white came into the room, asking me, Dua, and Wilson tons of questions that I couldn't hear.

"I'll be okay" was all I could manage before they put me in the ambulance.