Chapter 35 - Sully

"Hey, Sully— Can you pass that rod? And salt?"

"Sure— I won't question you, but— It's just something you do?"

A heap of salt went onto the bait. "Gives it a bit of the sting. Fish do eat other fish, you know."

"Like, with soy sauce and wasabi?"

"That's the way. But salt's enough. They're not sophisticated or anything." The bait got a good beating, pounding in the seasoning.

"So, if we were in the salt sea—?"

"Still goes. No reason questioning Mother Nature. If it works, it works, eh?"

"We'll see, we'll see. I'm still going for the vegetarians— Jeepers, Mo. Keep that wand to yourself, or you'll en up in my net."

"Sorry, Sully. Look at this beauty. Just wanna put my rod through the whole lake, that's all."

"Exactly my thought— And here comes the nets, combing the waters like a head full of delicate hair."

"Don't use that metaphor. Makes me think of lice. I want no lice for dinner."

"Huh, you wouldn't catch a lice if it put the bait in your mouth." A thermos appeared. "Oh you sweet angel—"

"Yes I am. Yes I am. Pure as snow—" Black coffee with extra sugar. "What's a hotel receptionist without her caffeine? Last shift, I locked down at dawn—had two hours of sleep before coming here. A girl's gotta have a hobby."

"Good thing you can eat your hobby then."

"Yup— You'll be serving this stuff up, won't you, to the snobs?"

"Sure am. I'll be cooking it good for my babes— And don't you come running with your stash to my kitchen. You're keeping it, you're cooking it."

"Gee— If I get any you'll be sorry you didn't make a fuss. You'll be left with that sorry soup of yours. Fish's gonna go fast. You're no touching it."

"Live on credit. What's a little trout next to sweet reputation? Can't chew credit Mo, just can't."

"— Whop-oh, got a little sucker nibbling here. Oh, did you see that? It's got a tail."

"Yeah, nice and big tail. Got your game going, alright. I'll pick up my ratio tonight. Nice and calm, when the sun's setting."

"When shutters go down—? You're such a hipster."

"Yup-yup, swell and slow— But oh, Mo. For crying out loud— That rascal of yours is taking your wand."

Yeah, Mo was almost going into the waters. "You're telling me? Don't just stand there. Help me for critters' sake. It's pulling like the Hounds of Hell."

"Sweet Sister, you'll be wobbling once you finish this. A bit of the salt and pepper—parsley perhaps."

"This one's had salt enough." And out of the waters into the boat— Bam. "Now look at that star. Ain't no vegetarian can do that. I bet this grand turkey here ate all her friends. A delicate part of nature, no evil in that."

"Mmh, it's fat enough— If we were stranded, like on an island, or in a boat, I wouldn't mind eating you. Only with no other option, of course."

"Thanks. I'll keep that in mind."

"I'm a chef. Creative as a nightmare, you know."

"Can we focus on the fish now?"

"Don't rock the pod. Your trophy's safe now— Jeez, cut those bloody sprinters, will you?"

Mo took a seat. "Relax sis. Pond's only about two arms deep. You know that, right?"

"Please, call it lake. At least while we're at it."

"Then why don't you call this a boat?" Mo gave the pod a pat.

"Yeah. And a bloody great boat it is. I wish it had sails. I'd make myself an eyepatch."

"I could supply you with a parrot. Mmm, I could, really."

"Mmhm, I know you could. I'd sail it to the end of the world—and crash into that prop's wall over there."

"Good thinking. Katja'd kick your face in if you damaged gov property."

Sully left her chuckle and wiped a tear from her eye. "Naw, it's all good. It's all how it's supposed to be."

"Yeah, guess so. Well, can't go nagging now, can I? With this poach on my neck? I'll even smile at the guests. For a whole day. The crazy people— Speaking of guests, did you know, the strange things people keep doing? One guest, a long-stayer I think, tried go steeling furniture from her room. Furniture. What was she to do? Put it in the roof box of the shuttle? Send it home with UPS—? We're on a bloody spaceport— We're leaving it for now though, me and Barbara—was she who saw it."

"Huh, sounds like a regular traveler to me. What was it? No, let me guess—the kettle? She took the kettle."

"Hah, easy guess, but no. It was the mirror—" Here Sully double-folded. "I know," Mo continued. "Like she would have—as if she could— No, I can't find the words. Do you know how big those things are? Every room's got one."

"Jeez, Mo. You can't make these things up."

"No, I'm making nothing up."

"Then what?"

"She went back to her room, pretending like nothing happened."

"No-o?"

"Yup. Next day she stole some clothes, left the hotel in a rental outfit. I saw it myself. Cheeky little thing. Barbara and I thought about pressing charges, but then there's the AP—"

"No!"

"Yeah, shining good on her chest. So we're letting it go. She'll get what's coming for her."

"And then she took the kettle?"

Mo chuckled. "No. No kettle. She looked more like a juice-person to me. Wouldn't know how to flip the switch. Needs serving."

Sully wiped more tears. "Golly— Ah, sh*t. Gotta get back to flipping burgers."

"Hah, you'd never flip a burger—"

"All the same. To others, my fine cuisine's fast food— Look, can I tell this one back at the kitchen? The one about the mirror? It'll crack the clerks up."

"Sure-sure. Go ahead. My pleasure. And I'll come by in the afternoon—using the smoke oven? I'll help hauling your nets—?"

"Good-good. It's all good. It's all how it's supposed to be."

Mo picked up the anchor. "Now, let me bring you into land, soldier."

"Thanks, mate— Sure does smell nice, that fish of yours."