Opening Day

With a 30 second sound bite on the local news, stating that pitchers and catchers are reporting to spring training, the end of another long hard winter is heralded. With that simple phrase, everybody here in Western Pennsylvania knows that spring is here. Plans start being made for opening day at the ballpark. Ah yes, opening day with all of its festivities and traditions. Some of those traditions last for the moment some last a lifetime and some may last longer than that.

It was April of 1991. The Pittsburgh Pirates headed north from the warmth and sunshine of Bradenton Florida for the grey skies and chill of early spring in Pittsburgh. Opening day was the following week at Three Rivers Stadium against the New York Mets. Pirates vs. Mets had become an intense rivalry back then and the city was alive with anticipation. As I sat at my desk, at work, the phone rang.

'This is Kurt'.

'Hey Kurt-Kurt, this is Ron!!'

Ron was one of my best friends. A guy I had met at Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP). He was a twin. His brothers' name was Bill and the two couldn't be more different. They were different looking, as well as, different in personalities. Ron was the more hyper of the two. Always on the move and doing something, while Bill was more reserved.

'Hey Ron, what can I do for you?' I asked.

'You going to the opener on Wednesday night?' he asked.

'Well I would love to go but I don't have tickets. How about you?'

'Hell no, can't get near a ticket!' You could sense the smile on his face. Ron always had a smile on his face.

'So anything else going on?' I asked.

'Not really. I was just checking out the weather forecast and it looks like a nice weekend. Wanna go play some golf on Saturday? You, me and Billy.'

'Sure, where do you wanna play?'

'Well let's meet at my place around 9:00 and we'll figure it out from there.' he said.

'Sounds like a plan to me. I'll see you tomorrow at 9:00'

The weather forecast was beautiful for early April, sunny with a high in the 60's. Around 8:00 the next morning I threw my clubs into the hatch of my Mazda RX-7 and headed off to Ron and Karen's townhouse. Karen was Ron's new wife. They had been married back in October after a long courtship. They made the classic good looking couple. They had that perfect mix of love and friendship with just the right amount of differences thrown in to keep things exciting. I turned my car into the complex and drove to their building. I parked next Billy's car and jumped out.

The door opened after I rang the bell and there stood Karen.

'Hi, Kurt-Kurt come on in. Bills already here.' she said with that cheerful voice.

'I know. I parked next to him' I said as I gave her a hug.

I walked over and shook Bills hand. Just as he was about to say something we heard a rumbling coming down the stairs. We both turned and saw Ron bounding down the steps.

'Hey, guys! Ready? Let's get going!' Ron yelled.

There stood Ron. Black socks, striped shirt, and plaid shorts.

We all started for the door when we were stopped dead in our tracks by Karen.

'Ron Ramsey, where in the hell do you think you're going?' she asked.

Ron stopped and gave her a funny look.

'I told you I was going golfing with these guys. Don't you remember?'