Monster Inside Me

Monster Inside Me

I was sitting on my back porch at midnight. Something I done everynight since I was 12. 

The crickets chirping and birds singing, cars passing by once in awhile. The moon was full and the stars lit the sky like a million diamonds.

The breeze blew and I tightened my arms around myself to keep warm. 

But then, I caught the wiff of a strange scent. It smelled musky and strong. My eyes widened as I heard the bushes in front of me rattle. 

I stood up and looked around wildly. Something walked out of the bushes. I could tell it was a man by his sillhoutte. 

"I'm not going to hurt you. Please don't scream or run or anything or go anywhere." Said a deep, smooth voice. It came from the guy who had walked out of my bushes.

"I'm pretty sure that's what all killers and rapists say to their victims." I said sarcastically, taking a step back towards my backdoor. 

"I suppose this isn't the time to tell you that I like your sense of humor." He replied walking towards me. I took another step towards my backdoor. The closer he got, the more clearer his face became.

He walked up on the back porch with me. Standing only two feet away from me. I see his face clear as day in the bright moonlight. His eyes literally glowed in the dark. They were a bright, almost lime green. They had to be contacts. No one's eyes done that. At least... that's what I'd tell myself...

"I'm Darrin." He said holding out his hand, offering a greeting shake. I forwarded my eyebrows at him. "You're a stranger, that just walked out of my bushes out of NOWHERE. I should be inside calling the cops at this very moment. Tell me again why I shouldn't follow my instinct?" I questioned. He waited a moment. 

"You're not inside calling the cops. You're out here with me. I already know you're name, August. I know things about you, not even you know." He stated taking another step closer. I took a step back. 

"What are these things then, Darrin?" I asked, unbelieving that he knew anything about me. He dug around in his jacket pocket and pulled something out and handed it to me. 

It was a round mirror. I took it and looked at him. "What am I supposed to do with this?" I asked. "Look at yourself." He stated. I rolled my eyes. "I guess you're gonna tell me I'm beautiful and blah blah blah?" I questioned uninterested. "Just look in it." He sighed. I once again rolled my eyes.

I held the mirror up and looked at myself. I gasped when I seen my eyes were glowing bright, fiery red. I clapped my hands over my mouth and the mirror hit the ground. 

"That's seven years bad luck right there." Darrin smirked. "You. You and your - your - WHAT IS THIS!?" I merely yelled in shock. He clapped his hand over my mouth. "Shhh." He hissed. I narrowed my eyes at him. 

"What in the hell. I- Y'know, I'll wake up soon. My alarm clock will go off in a few minutes and I'll be on my way to school. I will forget all about this." I said with my hands on my hips. "No. You're in reality. I can prove it. Ever wondered why there's no mirrors hanging on your walls in your house?" He questioned. "There's no mirror's because they go against my mother's religion." I stated. At least, that's what they always told me..."

"That is THE biggest load of crap I've ever heard. You actually believe that!?" He demanded. "Hey, you don't know my family. So don't judge." I snapped. "Yes I do! Because that's my cousins who adopted you!" He snapped quickly, clearly irritated with me. I narrowed my eyes at him for being so harsh.

"Why haven't I ever seen you at any of the family reunions?" I asked. "Because I have nothing to do with many people in my family. On either side." He stated bluntly. "Uh huh. Like I believe that." I said doubtly with my arms crossed across my chest. I could feel the tension from his anger and he was clearly pissed with me. "Fine. Fine. Fine. Don't believe me. I could really care less." He replied. "Fine. Leave and forget you ever came here. Now leave me alone." I said turning for the door and started walking away.