It's hot.

We're all sweating in the center, despite the air conditioning. I have an ice pack on my forehead, lying on the floor.

"We need to do something," Camren pants. Iris nods.

"Sally's for milkshakes, then the pool or beach?" 

I toss the ice pack back into the freezer as we leave. We all pile up into Iris' van, a familiar act at this point. It only feels like a few minutes before we're at Sally's. Geoff is inside, running the shift. We walk in a greet him. He happily gives Camren and I a hug.

"We're just stopping by to get some shakes," Camren says. Geoffry nods.

"It seems everyone else in town had the same idea. You just happen to have caught the perfect time to come. Only half an hour ago this place was packed."

"Got everything under control? Everything running smoothly?" I ask. Geoff nods.

"In fact, why don't I get your orders?"

Camren and I laugh. I give him a pat on the shoulder.

"We got it from here. Take a break. Meet our friends. We'll get our orders."

Geoff starts to protest, but the two of us are already gloved and starting on the milkshakes, so he stalks over to our table and introduces himself. I take out the ice cream containers and start making the bases for the shakes, and Camren gets the toppings. I pass them the shakes one by one and they mix in the toppings, and I get out the whipped cream and pile that on, then dive a spoon into the ice cream of each one. 

Strawberry, M&M, banana, Oreo, Reese's, cookie dough, mint chocolate chip, and cookies and cream milkshakes go out, and everyone goes to get their shake. As always, mine is strawberry.

"I still don't know what you two do to make these so good," Geoff gushes. "I mean, I do exactly what you tell me to do, and it never comes out this good." He sips on his milkshake.

"Fun is the secret ingredient," Camren says as if they're a grandparent telling their grandkids something important. I laugh.

"as cliche as it sounds, it's the truth. We're always having fun here. Wanna make an excellent shake? Let loose and have fun."

Geoff nods thoughtfully.

"Thanks for the tip."

I finish off the last of my shake and toss the cup into the dishwasher.

"I agree with Geoff, these are damn good," Ashley says, sitting back in her chair, satisfied. We all finish our shakes before the next rush hour starts, wish Geoff good luck, and start to the beach.

I think we all had the same idea today because we already have our bathing suits either underneath our clothes or in our bags, so it's much faster getting to the beach. Iris parks in a relatively empty section and gets out to peel off her outer layer of clothes. 

Everyone who has a bathing suit already was out of the car, to just take their clothes off, but Max, Kai, and I have to stay in the van to change. Kai goes to the front, Max and I just turn away from each other. I switch out my new binder for my older, more worn out- but still working-one, and pull on a surfing shirt over that, and board shorts. I wait for Kai and Max to get dressed and we head out. Max is shirtless and just wearing board shorts, while Kai is wearing a boxier version of a one-piece suit. We climb out of the van and into the sun. We all walk out onto the sand, which is burning to the touch at first until we get closer to the water. Iris and Ashley set up a blanket and umbrella to read under, and everyone else immediately gets in the water. I don't want to though, not yet, so,  I take to the sand and start building, by hand, and castle. Max comes up onto the sand and sits down next to me.

"Need help?" He asks, smiling. I turn to him and give him a kiss. His lips are salty, but I don't mind.

"Of course."

We pile sand up into a mound, then form it into something that resembles a base. I start to carve out a moat since it's already starting to look like one and use my finger to make patterns in the sand, to look like doors and windows. Max keeps piling sand up, making the second floor, and then pillars. Suddenly, a splash of water comes up behind us and fills the moat completely, destroying some of the base of the sandcastle with it. 

"Guess it's high tide," I say, laughing as the water floats away. Max nods. We sit still in the sand though, letting the various waves wash over the castle incrementally. I move my hand to hold his while the wave is still on us, and he smiles over at me.

"Dork," He jokes. I shrug.

"Your dork," I joke back, winking. He smiles, rolls his eyes, and shakes his head, before leaning in again for another, this time longer, salty kiss.