The Falling Game

I was running late for school. Again. It’s ridiculous how unlucky I am when I’m supposed to be ‘gifted’. I quickly brushed through my long, shiny, chocolate brown hair and applied a small amount of eyeliner and mascara. In other words, enough to make my eyes stand out but not too much that I looked like I’d been punched in both eyes. I ran down the stairs as I chucked my bag over my shoulder. I ran towards the door with my Granola bar, running into my five year old brother, Jed.

“Woah, hey sorry little dude” I said as I ruffled his mousy brown hair. Jed hated it when I did that.

“Hey hey hey! Not the hair Arly!”  he shouted as he dodged past me, out of the way.

“Hahaha, don’t call me that” I laughed, as I rushed out the door. Okay, so he hated me ruffling his hair, and I hated him calling me Arly. In other words, we were even.

Naturally, when I walked outside it was pouring down and I’d forgotten my umbrella. Also, just as naturally, and lucky for me, I was wearing my purple skinny jeans, black knee high boots and my nice, warm black hoodie so I wasn’t cold and I wasn’t going to get too wet.

As I ran down the street towards school, I could have sworn the rain got heavier, and to make matters worse, as I neared the front gates to Sommerlong High, I heard the trilling bell go for first period. Great. There was absolutely no way I was going to get all the way down the back for sport on time.

As I ran faster, my calf muscles started to burn like crazy, this would be the fourth time in one week that I would be late to school; I couldn’t afford to let that happen. I pushed myself further on until I reached the front gates and turned a sharp left, jumping over the brick wall in front of the hall. I am a pretty fast runner and I have great reflexes, if I do say so myself. I raced down the path, past two of the school buildings and chucked another left turn towards the oval.

And that’s when I saw him leaning against the brick wall of the office. Tall, muscular and mysterious with a dark glow surrounding him.

“Oh Great!” I groaned to myself. This day just got worse.

He step away from the wall to meet me, his deep brown eyes gleaming with excitement, “Hey there my sweet little Arly. I’ve been waiting for you”