Stay back after class

Sam's car pulled up to school at 8:30 and she stepped out into the cool spring air. Sam walked to the canteen and met Lachie outside.

"Hey, how was your night?" Lachie asked.

"Boring, litirally  fell asleep as soon as I stopped texting you. Somehow I'm still tired though." Sam replied.

"Ah well. Want to smoke up tonight?" Lachie asked as he stepped into the cafe.

"Sure, I'll meet you at the beach houses?" Sam asked.

"Yep." Lach replied.

As they waited for their coffee's someone walked in behind them and placed their mug on the counter.  Lachie bumped Sam with his elbow and Sam turned her head to see her maths teacher standing at the counter.
She ordered a flat white and then turned her head to see Sam staring.

"It's Sam isn't it?" Miss Rose asked.

Sam nodded.

"Will you help me bring some boxes to class third? I'd do it myself but there's a few to many." She asked.

Lachie glared at Sam and winked.

"Uh yeah of course. Where are the boxes?" Sam asked.

"Building 2 office. Only if you have time! That would be awesome. Thanks Sam!" Miss Rose said before grabbing her coffee and leaving with a wave to both Sam and Lachie.

"Yo. You didn't tell me she was that hot" Lachie said grabbing his coffee from the counter and handing Sam hers.

"Shut up, she's a teacher! That's weird." Sam replied as she led the way to home room.

Sam walked with Lachie to their first class, and sat down at the back of Mr. Donald's class and put headphones in.

Sam's mind kept reminding her that she had to be at building 2 early, and she couldn't stop thinking about Miss Rose. Why had she been so nice? Why had she chosen my to help her?
Sam immediately shunned those thoughts and reminded herself that she just happened to be at the cafe at the same time as her.

Sam couldn't shake the weird feeling she got about helping her new teacher. Why did she feel so weird? It's not like it was an odd request. Anyway, maybe it will get her in the good books early this year?

"Sam Adams. Headphones out." A booming voice called, interrupting Sam's thoughts.

Sam whipped her headphones out and looked to the front of the classroom. Mr Donald was standing by the board, eyes directly on Sam. The class shuffled uncomfortably before he continued speaking.

"So if there are any more questions about our test next week, feel free to come and see me in building 1. I will not except any last minute emails or excuses. Go on, see you tomorrow." He spoke sternly.

Sam grabbed her bag and swept out of class as soon as she could. Lachie trailed behind her.

"Dumbass. At least leave one earphone out so you can hear him! Rule 1!" Lachie laughed

"I know, I just was in my thoughts. Anyway who cares about what old dusty Donaldson had to say?" Sam replied

"Well we do need to pass this test next week to not fail so you better listen next lesson." Lach said sternly before turning left for his next class.

Sam spent the next lesson sitting outside and drawing. She found herself anxious to get going  five minutes early and kept checking the clock tirelessly. She didn't know why she was getting to anxious, but there was something about Miss Rose that she didn't want to keep waiting.

Sam picked her bag up and headed to building 2. Class had 5 minutes left so the grounds were empty. She walked into the building and headed right to the building office.

She knocked on the door and waited.

"Sam! Thanks so much. Would you mind grabbing these?" Miss rose spoke after opening the door revealing a tight cut t shirt and smart black trousers. She pointed at 3 medium sized boxes on the floor in the corner.

"Yeah, no problem" Sam said as she leant down and stacked them into her arms.

Sam walked down to their classroom and dumped the boxes at the front before rushing to the back and swinging her bag under her chair.

"Getting away from me are you? God Sam, I've only asked for your help once.." Miss Rose said sarcastically. She gave Sam a cheeky smile and sat down preparing the boxes.

"No, no, I take this seat so it makes it harder for you to see me napping" Sam replied with a smile.

"Good one. How do you find maths? I'm guessing by your seating choice it isn't your favourite." Miss rose asked.

"Meh. It's all stupid. Why on earth would I ever need to know about this crap? It frustrates me because it's so overly complicated and I'm going to learn it only to forget about it in a few months." Sam replied.

Miss Rose looked at Sam with a concerned look before crossing her arms and swinging her chair to face Sam.

"That's not the way to look at it. If you try to enjoy it, and feel proud of yourself when you get the hang of it, you'd be far more understanding of why we teach it." Miss Rose said convincingly.

A row of students began filing in, and Miss Rose stared at Sam for a few seconds before continuing her prepping.

Sam felt awkward, but weirdly didn't mind. She liked the teachers attitude, but couldn't tell wether she liked Sam or didn't.

The rest of the class passed slowly. 
Every now and again Sam would glance up from her sheet of questions to find Miss Rose scanning the classroom and locking eyes with her. She always gave a smile and then continued her glance elsewhere, but Sam found it much harder to look away.

Miss Rose came and collected their sheets and they were dismissed. Sam picked up her phone, and began to shuffle out with the rest of the students.

"Hey Sam?" A voice called, she turned around to see Miss Rose holding her empty question sheet.

Sam gave a look of defeat and stepped back to Miss Rose's desk before sighing.

"Yes Miss Rose?" Sam sighed.

"Sam you didn't answer one question. What were you doing that whole lesson?" She asked.

Sam was embarrassed because she had actually spent most of the lesson staring.

"I don't know, I was trying to work it out but I just couldn't." Sam replied looking at her feet.

"Is like you to stay back after class tomorrow and we can look at some strategies to get you more focused. You seem very distracted." Miss Rose suggested.

Sam looked frustrated but gave in and nodded.

"Yeah alright. See you then." She mumbled as she stepped towards the door.

"Thanks for the help before Sam. That was really sweet of you." Miss Rose called.

Sam felt her cheeks flushing with red and nodded before turning the corner and heading for her car.

Why couldn't she stop thinking about Miss Rose?