Chapter 2

A/N Attached is what I imagine Adelaide to look like.

   The past few weeks Xavier has been doing all the things I normally do. He has been bathing Genevieve and putting her to bed and playing with her. And something is telling me it has something to do with my birthday coming up in two days.

     I walk into the kitchen to see Xavier trying to cook macaroni and cheese. "Hun, what are you doing?" I question him.

     "Genny was hungry. So I'm making her macaroni. Mommy was sleeping and Dad is training with the pack again" He responds nonchalantly. I sigh and try to stop the tears from welling up in my eyes.

     "Why didn't you come get me to make a sandwich or something? I know I can't cook, but we can order pizza or something." I suggest, somewhat enthusiastically. 

     "I don't know. I wanted to do it on my own." At his words, I immediately turn him around and bend down so I can hug him. When my mate finds me, we both know that he and Genny will have to fend for themselves. I understand how he feels. Almost right after my 10th birthday, Genny was born, and I was forced to care for Xavier. And it was a terrifying thought to have someone else's life in your hands when you barely know how to take care of yourself.

     God. I wish I could take them with me. They're so young, they can't fend for themselves. And I don't trust Remington or Josiah to take care of them, they're busy with their own mates. Hopefully, Charlotte accepts my proposal for her to just look out for them. I don't want anything happening to my little siblings.

     I hold Xavier tight in my arms and let a tear slip out. It's hard to imagine that in only a few days I will be leaving him to go find my mate. When a female mate turns 16 she starts her journey to find her mate. I've been told that if you just follow your heart, you will find your mate, but I've heard stories of wolves going missing on their expedition. I'm hoping I don't have to travel far. Maybe my mate is in my pack? Or a neighboring pack. That would be ideal because then I could still make sure my siblings were okay and I could come visit whenever I please. But that rarely ever happens. Mom's original pack is an 8 hour run from here. And that was considered close.

     "Lady? What's wrong?" I hear Genevieve's soft voice ask, worried. I pull away from Xavier, my face covered in tears. 

     "Nothing is wrong, Hun. I just wanted a hug" I say, trying to come up with a stupid lie. Genevieve doesn't understand mates yet. She's too young. She only knows that Mom and Dad are mates and it's when you love somebody very much. She hasn't made the connection yet that I will be leaving her very soon. 

     "Oh." She softly says. I watch as she slowly walks over to me and wraps her small arms around my neck tightly, bringing fresh tears to my eyes. "I love you, Lady!" She gleefully states in my ear. I open my mouth to respond but nothing comes out. I'm trying my hardest to push back my tears, I don't want to worry her.

     "Adelaide!?" I hear Charlotte's voice call out as the door shuts. 

     "We're in the kitchen!" I call back as I pull away from Genevieve, wiping my tears from my face. Charlotte is my older brother, Remington's mate, they live in a small cottage home only half a mile from ours.

     Charlotte enters the room, trying to assess the situation. Her eyes zeroed in on my tear-streaked face and confusion etches itself into her face. 

     "May I speak to you in the other room?" I ask, making my way over to her. She nods her head slowly and we go into the living room.

     "My 16th birthday is in 2 days" I whisper quietly. Charlotte stares at me with a confused look on her face before a look of realization appears on her face.

     "You're nervous to find your mate? Don't be nervous. I'm sure whoever he is, he will love you and-" I cut her off immediately, knowing that she's on the wrong track.

     "No! I'm not worried about that. I'm ready to meet my mate. I'm worried about the kids. Mom's caught up on Lukas currently and in only 2 months there will be a new baby she'll be focused on. I want to make sure they are safe here." I explain. She starts nodding her head up and down slowly. 

     "What do you want me to do?" She asks, ready to do whatever I ask. 

     "Can you just occasionally check on them for me. Make sure they are still learning and going to classes with the Luna. Make sure they are being fed. Knowing Mom, she'll forget to feed them, and Lukas can't feed himself. Xavier has been watching me very carefully these past few days, I think he knows how to do most things to survive in this world and to take care of Lukas and Genevieve. But please make sure he still gets a childhood. He doesn't deserve to have to grow up so young. Let him live his childhood." Through my short speech, Charlotte nods her head, keeping track of everything she should do. 

     "Thank you so much Charlotte" I whisper as I pull her into a strong hug. 

     "Don't worry about the children. Just focus on finding your mate and being happy. They will be safe here. I promise." She says quietly into my ear. She's always been the quiet type, and never says much. Making it hard for me to get to know her. But I trust her to do this. I have to.