Chapter One

Ardent (adj): characterized by intense emotion; enthusiastic or passionate.

It was late at night and I had no idea what I was doing. I know I wanted candy, that's a given, but my stomach churned the moment I stepped into the candy isle and took a peek at the Twizzlers on the bottom shelf. It feels weird being sober, which sounds really, really bad, but nighttime is my usual getaway. I'm not stupid about drinking, though.

I pick up sour Skittles-Sienna's favorite-and took out my wallet. Candy didn't seem like a good idea anymore but since I'm here now, might as well appease my sister. Before going up to the counter, I move to go to the cold beverages but instead I spot a familiar figure that makes my heart race.

Within seconds of me catching her in the chips and donuts isle, her eyes averted from the shelf to mine. I gave her a crooked grin when recognition flashed in her eyes.

"Hey," I say with the slight raise of my hand. She tucks the fly away brown hairs behind her ear and sends back a shy smile. I've known her since I was, what, ten? Eleven? I feel like she always acts like this when she sees me in public and she's alone. Shy, awkward, withdrawn. It never fails to make my stomach turn the slightest.

"What are you doing?" She asks, picking up a bag of powdered donuts and Tortilla chips. I hold up the pack of Skittles.

"Late night run for Sienna, I guess. I thought I wanted something, but I think I was just bored... you alright?" I notice her fidgeting with her jacket sleeve and not making eye contact with me.

"Sorry, yeah, I'm just..." She placed a hand on her back, almost holding herself up. From my experience with Sienna, I knew the signs. Luckily I wasn't an uneducated jackass.

"Okay, okay. I can buy that stuff for you, if you'd like." I slip to the left slightly, still managing to keep my head turned towards her, and take out a red Gatorade. Alcohol definitely isn't an option now; I didn't want to drink and drive but really, Nova isn't a fan of guys who drink.

"No, that's okay, Niall. My dad gave me the money." I nod. We walk up to the cash register and I set my stuff down, turn towards her and carefully take the several items she has out of her hands and place them on the counter.

"Niall-" she starts.

"Nope." She glare at me. "Save the money for something else." The cashier rings up the items.

"Thanks," she says softly as we exit the store together. I give her a small shove, not hard enough to make an impact on her balance.

"Anytime, kiddo."

"Don't call me kiddo," she says sternly, but she smiles nonetheless.

"Why not?" I say, laughing lightly.

"It makes me feel like a little girl. Like your little sister." I blank out. Maybe that's why I call her it, because I need to remember that she should be more of a sister to me. I need to think of her the way I think of Sienna. "I don't know. Tell Sienna I'll call her tomorrow, yeah?"

"Sure thing." I grin down at her as we approach her cute little car, the one that fit her oh-so perfectly. "Goodnight, Nova."

"Goodnight." I back away from her car and once she was gone, I head back to my own.

a new thingy. hope you enjoy :)