Prologue

Jared sat quietly in his room, fumbling with the balloon his mother got him for his birthday.
She treats me like I'm little, I don't need balloons anymore, I'm seventeen now...
He thought to himself as he pushed the balloon away.
He sighed and looked over at the edge of the bed, where sat a smiling Jamie, his only friend, even if she wasn't real, it was enough for him.
He nodded in her direction as a sort of greeting, then flicked on his TV.
It was already on a news station, he liked the news.
He watched to the latest big story,humming, he didn't expect much exciting, his little town, lakeside, named after the huge lake next to it, was small, everyone knew each other so there wasn't much that could go wrong.
The news woman began to speak
" in top news tonight, a car has been found in the lake, crashed, and within it, the body of a sixteen year old girl. It was recently discovered the identity of this girl, she is Jamie Winston. It is suspected her father was responsible, as he was seen soaked and drunk the night this happened"
Jared sat up quickly and looked at the screen for a picture, and gasped when he saw what looked all to familiar, in fact, looked exactly like Jamie.
Jamie closed her eyes and sighed "they finally found the car...hm...sorry I never said anything Jared...but I guess now is as good a time as ever to tell you why I'm your friend..."

Jared stared in awe, his imaginary friend was a dead girl, that everyone thought had been locked up in her room again, it happened a lot, and he though his Jamie and that girl, the one that he never even noticed, were the same girl. Maybe it was due to the fact that his last memory of Jamie Winston was a short, slightly chubby girl with braces and long braids, and then he didn't know her name well enough, always thought it was Janet.
"Jared, I'm able to be here because I was killed at sixteen, a few weeks ago. That's how we come to be, you know? A kid dies, and gets to be another kids best friend for as long as they can..."

Jamie Winston, she became known as the murdered little girl, her father never caught. Jared West was friends with the dead girl.

And he knew everything that happened to her that night, as well as a few things about himself he never knew