The Book Thief in Werner Meminger's Point Of View

It’s cold, bitter cold, but I can barely tell because of how crowded it is around here and with mommy and Liesel holding my hands really tight. We’re standing in the middle of this crowded place, waiting for a train that’s going to take Liesel and I to our new foster parents. When I look up at mommy, you can see fear in her eyes and the expression on her face. I’m not quite sure if it’s because of how crowded it is and there’s billions of screaming people here, or if it’s because she’s giving Liesel and I to people she’s never actually met, it could well possibly be because of both of these things. But when I look at Liesel, she is not scared what so ever, but I can tell that she is very sad to be leaving mommy alone. I understand why the both of them are feeling this way though. I am very sad to be leaving mommy and I am extremely worried that these people might not be nice and I am worried that something bad might happen before we even get to Munich. As you can tell, this is an ugly day, a very ugly day. The only beautiful thing about it, is how slowly and gently the snow is falling. The snowflakes look like fuzzy cotton balls with the weight of a feather falling from the sky. “Choo-choo! Choo-choo!”

The air fills with the smell of coal burning in a pit of fire. Finally, the train is here for us. We start walking towards the entrance of the train together, but when we get to front of the line, a man pulled me aside and told us that I couldn’t go on with mommy and Liesel because I’m a boy. So, mommy and Liesel went on without me, and I had to enter the train in a different place. I’m alone on this train and I have no idea where to go and where to look for mommy and Liesel, but I still looked everywhere. A few hours went by, and we were finally reunited and it was dinnertime as well. Mommy was very relieved when they found me and Liesel wouldn’t stop hugging me. We went to eat dinner together and after dinner, I had to hug them, say goodnight, and say goodbye. I’m kinda happy it’s bedtime though, I’m exhausted after what I went through today.

When I woke up the next morning, I wasn’t able to tell if it was actually morning or not, I’m just assuming it is because everyone else is either wide awake or just starting to wake up. No one is able to tell what time it is, what the weather is like, or where we even are. The only thing we knew, was that it was still very cold. After I got dressed, I went to the dining car to find mommy and Liesel so we could eat breakfast together. The train is very crowded, everywhere you look there were people. Screaming children, crying babies, people smoking, people eating, people talking, people crying, and some are even happy and laughing. I want to know how some people are happy and some people are laughing, I wonder if they realize that families on this train have been split up, that little kids have to be alone because girls and boys have to be split up. Maybe they do know, maybe it happened to them. Maybe they’re faking those cheesy smile, maybe they’re fake laughing, maybe they’re trying to make the people around them feel better and more comfortable. Finally, after walking through that mess, I’m with mommy and Liesel again, we’re eating breakfast together, like we always do, like we’re proud to be family. After Liesel and I got finished eating, we went exploring, well, that’s really all we can do on this train. There’s no school, no friends, no going outside, no fresh air, no games, nothing but exploring, and I’m pretty sure we’re not even allowed to be doing that. While exploring, we got to see that there was nothing but dust everywhere, no showers, no sinks, no toilets, and very little food supply. After a few hours, it was time to meet mommy for dinner, and after dinner, it was time for bed again.

The next day, we did the same thing, everyone did actually, there were two differences though. One, it was much louder than yesterday. Everyone was complaining about how they can’t shower, how they can’t wash their hands, how no one and nothing is clean or being cleaned, how people are going to get sick, very sick, there’s a chance some people may die. Two, when I went back to where I was sleeping to lay down for awhile, I noticed a bunch of people starting to get sick. But maybe it’s just food poisoning, because I must admit, the food on this train, really isn’t the best.