Chapter Twenty-Eight / Lost Glasses

"You're stupid," I stated, pushing Dylan away from me with a laugh.

"I'm brilliant," Dylan insisted and Max, now idolizing Dylan, agreed.

"You could not fight off the zombie apocalypse with a sword made out of Legos," I said flatly.

"Of course you can," Dylan grinned devilishly. "You above all people know that you can do anything if you set your mind to it." He wiggled his eyebrows and I felt a blush fight its way into my cheeks.

Oh, so he's going there.

"I'm pretty sure you would know that the best out of all of us, huh," I replied casually. Dylan blushed lightly and I couldn't help but laugh. Max was oblivious to what we were even talking about, especially since it had been diverted from zombies.

Dylan had come over to my house like intended and had played games with Max (with me excluded because Max insisted that it was boys only) and now we were watching movies, discussing other topics during it.

Mom and Joe were watching a movie in their room and it seemed that things were being fixed between them, too. Mom didn't tell me anything about it, so I have no idea what went down, but I see that they worked it out.

"Do you think they have that Cinderella movie?" Max asked me, grabbing the remote and changing to the guide to see all the things that were playing on different channels. "What's Game of Thrones?" I grabbed the remote immediately.

"Something you'll watch hopefully not until you're about eighteen," I mumbled, looking through the channels to see if they were playing it. Sometimes they played it again so I hoped that they would do it with A Cinderella Story.

"What movie is he talking about?" Dylan asked, chuckling from Max's curiosity on what Game of Thrones was.

"A Cinderella Story, of course," I answered. "Yes!" I exclaimed, seeing that they were playing it. It had already started, but it was still at the beginning so it was good.

"I wanna meet a girl like Cinderella," Max commented, crawling off the couch, carrying a pillow with him and lying down in front of the TV with the pillow to support his head.

I smiled at Max's comment and Dylan laughed softly. Dylan moved closer to me on the couch and I tried my best to act nonchalant.

"I have a question to ask you," Dylan told me quietly, folding his hands on his lap. His attention was focused solely on his hands.

"And what question would that be?" I asked curiously.

"Uh," Dylan scratched the back of his neck and continued looking at his hands. "Um."

"Wow," I mused sarcastically, "you sure do have a way with words." Dylan glared at me.

"I'm trying to ask you to prom and you're kind of ruining the moment, Christine," Dylan said, annoyance laced in his voice. He froze once he realized what he said and I froze along with him and turned slowly to look at him. Dylan was fiddling with his fingers now and he wouldn't look at me.

"Is this the part where you elaborate or the part that I say yes?" I questioned and my heart skipped a beat when I let it slip that I would want to go to prom with him.

It took Dylan a moment but his head whipped up quickly to look at me. His eyes widened and he spoke softly, "Is that yes to going to prom with me?"

I swallowed and answered firmly, "No. It's a hell yes I'll go to prom with you."

A smile spread across Dylan's face and in an instant, he wrapped his arms around me. An answering smile of my own came onto my lips and it was that moment that I realized how comfortable smiles had become for me. Being around Dylan and being around all of my friends. Around the people I cared about and vice versa, my smiles were carefree and natural.

I put my arms around his neck and pulled him in closer to me, inhaling his scent. It was familiar and I loved it.

Dylan pulled back slightly and so did I and we took a moment to simply stare into each other's eyes. His beautiful dark eyes that were beautiful even if I couldn't see the multiple hues that are hidden in them. His eyes flicked from my own eyes to my lips. That's when my heart began to pound erratically in my chest. Well, more than it already was.

"It'd be really nice if I knew what we were so I could kiss you," he whispered breathlessly.

I grinned, losing all embarrassment about talking about this, "Technically it's the guy who asks out the girl."

"Are you indirectly telling me you want to be my girlfriend?"

"You tell me."

"Well," Dylan said finally, "would you, Christine Evers Deveray, be my girlfriend and my date to the prom?"

I looked from his small grin to his eyes that held anticipation. "Yes."

"And I'll take you out on a date tomorrow."

"That sounds fantastic," I told him genuinely, and then pulled him in closer to me. "You want to know what else sounds fantastic?"

"What?" Dylan asked with a knowing smile.

"If you could kiss me right now," I confessed and Dylan leaned in closer. Our lips were brushing against each other's when the light on the fan in the living room was turned on and we jumped away from each other quickly.

"Oh," Mom said, her eyes widening. "Oh, sorry! Sorry!" She rushed over to the coffee table and grabbed the glasses that were sitting there. She offered me a sheepish shrug and a wink and said on her way out, "I thought I lost my glasses, but thankfully they were here. Carry on!"

Dylan and I looked at each other and broke out into a fit of laughter before being reprimanded by my little brother to be quiet during the movie.