Chapter One

Lily was never the most popular student and that usually didn't bother her. Sitting at her desk and occasionally taking notes, she zoned out when her teacher began to explain one of the many plays of William Shakespeare. Looking down at the word filled notebook, she began to doodle flowers and decorative leaves that surrounded them. She had already read Macbeth hundreds of times and like always, she spaced out while the torturing lecture proceeded. She quietly blew a strand of her mousy brown hair out of her face as she continued to focus on the daffodil she was sketching on the corner of the lined page. Taking her time carefully drawing and shading it, she quietly hummed a lullaby her late mother use to sing to her as a child.

    Her thoughts quickly grew bitter when remembering the precious moments together. Her mechanical pencil slowed to a stop as she recalled a memory from her childhood. Her mother would tuck her in and read her fairy tales and nursery rhymes. There were some nights when she would sing to her when she had trouble sleeping and they would always lull her to rest peacefully. Her mother was beautiful. Her long golden hair would be elegantly swooped up in to a full and neat bun with her long bangs brushed behind her ears with pearl piercings. A soft heart shaped face that had a natural and gentle smile. Her eyes were as blue as the deep ocean with pale, but long lashes to somewhat shade them.

    She was the complete opposite of her.

    Lily was born with dull brown hair that she kept long, but tied tightly back and out of her face. Her eyes were deep brown with a slight twinkle to them. She was thankful to have naturally long dark eyelashes, but was a little insecure of her roman shaped nose. She was pale with light freckles scattering her cheeks and nose; some on her body. She was average height with a good amount of curves and a soft belly.

    The sound of the bell snapped her back to reality and her classmates were already scurrying out the door. Sighing in relief, Lily quickly packed her books and slung her backpack over her shoulder. While walking to work, she could hear a car coming up from behind her on the street. Looking to her side, she saw three familiar faces. Jane, Charlotte, and Felicia. They were one of the cliche cheerleaders of the school who had numerous boyfriends and expensive clothes. They were all pretty and smart like her, but their snobby attitudes were hard to look past. Felicia drove in a deep red Mercedes with her layered blond hair perfectly framing her round face. They sped past her with the newest hits blasting through the speakers and their laughter somehow being heard over the deafening music.

    Lily stared blankly at the vehicle that grew further away, her baby hairs brushing her forehead as a light breeze passed. She envied their friendship and enthusiasm. She never thought of them as bad people, just teenage girls having fun and getting through their last year of high school. There were times when she wished she was more attractive like them, someone more exciting and fun. However, she was fine with the way she was and liked the fact that she looked as average as someone can get. Blending in was always her strong point in life; sometimes even being invisible.

    She felt a small smile tug the corners of her thin, pale pink lips.

    The upcoming sight of the Animal Rescue and Care Center made her pick up her pace, excitement seeping through her. The books vigorously bounced inside her bag with the pens and pencils rattling against them. Her job was one of the things she looked forward to everyday. Taking care of different kinds of animals was one of her passions. The other being sketching and painting.

    Clocking in, she put on the smooth black apron and rolled up her sleeves. Her friend, Bethany, came in soon after and gave her a warm smile.

    "Hey, girl! How was school today?" her friend asked.

    "Good."

    "That's boring! Any fights? Almost fights? Cat fights?"

    "No, Beth. Just the same old," Lily laughed, making sure her hair was tightened back. She waited until her blonde haired friend put in her pin on the site computer and walked beside her.