Colors Within

Harry looked down at this black fingertips and partially black palm on his right hand for about the millionth time in his life. It was common for people to have black spots on their hands. It means that when you find your soulmate, you've grabbed them for some reason.

Ron's hand was black, discovering his soulmate after reaching for Hermione when he made fun of her back in First Year and she went crying past them in the court yard. She had spun around, knowing Ron had touched her where her mark was. Her suspicions were confirmed when Ron had looked down at his hand that had burst out into colors, looking wide-eyed. She had hurried to push up her sleeve and look at her upper arm, finding it bursting with color as well. They were just kids though, and as kids do, they ran off in the opposite direction from each other.

It was rare to find your soulmate so young, and so lucky to some. Much to Harry's frustration however, the pair ignored their shared bond for years, not coming together until around the time the trio had been on the run from Voldemort.

Harry had only wished he could find his soulmate so soon, not having to spend most of his time wondering. He hoped but he worried. He had heard many stories of soulmate situations going wrong. People brushing skin in public and not realizing their mark had changed until much later, much too late to find out who with. This had happened to his aunt Petunia. The slender mark on the back of her hand was multiple shades of dull colors. When she was young, she had brushed hands with a stranger at the train station. It was the last time her family and her had dropped Harry's mum off at Platform 9 3/4 for her final year at Hogwarts. She partly blamed Lilly for missing her soulmate along with everything else she blamed her for. So she ended up with uncle Vernon, who's soulmate had been killed when they were engaged and he crashed the car while drunk. Their relationship was manageable, but would never be perfect. His mark had gone back to black, much like Remus' had after losing Sirius. Dumbledor had been in the same situation, with a mark on his chest that had gone back to black. Harry feared that his mark would never change colors because his soulmate was already dead.

In rare instances, people have two soulmates, but in even rarer cases do they work out to where the person keeps both. Harry had recently discovered that this has been the case for his mother. Lilly had a mark covering her palm and another small one just underneath her eye on her cheek. The one on her hand had belonged to Severus, and the one on her face to his father James. From what Harry had learned from Snape's memories after he died, Lilly was his only soulmate, and if he would've made the right choices, he would've only been hers. That of course is not how it went. Most had always noticed Snape's black mark across one cheek, and marveled at the thought that he could even have a soulmate. But he did have one, one he discovered when she slapped him across the face for saying something rude. It had turned back to black though when he called Lilly a Mudblood, breaking the last chance he had with her as well as their soulmate bond, an almost impossible thing to have happened but not unheard of.

Her second mark became bright when one afternoon in the Gryffindor common room, James wipped an eyelash away from her face. He had always known she was the one for him, and she finally gave in to his antics, much to Snape's horror. For the rest of her short life, Lilly lived with one black mark and one colored one. Harry worried that maybe he shared a soulmate with someone else, and his soulmate's other soulmate had gotten to them first and lived happily ever after.

Luna always told Harry not to worry about it, not to dwell on it like he was doing right now. But he couldn't help it. Although he almost never complained, he wanted something in his life to go right for just once. Fearing that he would never find his soulmate terrified him, so most of the time he kept his hand close to him, almost never touching anyone with it. The times he did it took his breath away, a mix of anxiety and longing all at once. But he hasn't found his soulmate up to date. He's tried imagining what they look like but that's nearly impossible. He's almost certain it'll be a boy though, as he was pretty sure he was gay.