[E] Prologue

Edited: 5/6/18

       I WAS beyond devastation.

       Before my eyes were the members of my pack, completely ruined and torn to pieces. All I could see were the endless bodies of people that once loved and protected me. They were laying still, lifeless. Even as I scanned the area, I could tell my parents and brother were not in the mass of bodies. They were nowhere to be found.

       I expected my return from Italy to be anything but this. I was hoping I would come home to my loving family. Instead, I came home to my pack, to see that almost everyone was slaughtered. I didn't even have a pack anymore.

       I had no one.

       Nothing.

       I faintly heard the sound of struggling, a complaint, a cry perhaps. I shifted into my blonde wolf to better follow the noise and to fight, in the case that the attackers were still around. As I moved throughout my pack, I found that not all members were dead-- some were barely holding on by a thread. Those who survived the attack were far too weak to tell me what happened.

       I carried the surviving members to a safe sanctuary hidden under the pack-house. I continued doing this as I made my rounds around the pack. I did it so many times until I believed I had saved everyone I could find. In total, I had only sixty-one surviving members. From a thriving number of four hundred, my pack was stripped and obliterated to only sixty-one wolves.

       We were no longer the biggest and strongest anymore.

       I heard noises from above the pack-house which set me on high alert. My wolf was craving blood and revenge for those that terrorized my pack. I looked at my members who were trying to aid each other. I sent the message that someone was still here and they understood to remain in place until further notice.

       My wolf was massive compared to everyone else's and I took pride in my lineage. One look at my wolf and the intruder would know who they were up against. I went to higher ground in a defensive position. I let out a low growl for the intruder. I wanted them to know that I was here and I wasn't going to allow them to survive.

       When I was out of the safe place, I saw someone I never thought possible.

       The Beta.

        The Beta of the pack quickly shifted into his human form with a struggle. He dropped to his knees as soon as he was in his human form. His black hair was matted and sticky with blood. I quickly shifted out of my wolf form to go help him. I pulled him up slightly, feeling pain.

       "Kevin," I whispered. "What happened to Huntington?" I asked quietly. I was aware my voice was cold and detached but I could not control how I was feeling.

       Kevin coughed and some blood came out his mouth but he still answered me, "Blood Moon-- they retaliated against Mason," he got out painfully. I was holding most of his weight and I could see the exhaustion on his face. He had been injured for days. I was shocked he didn't pass out from exhaustion.

       "Blood Moon," I snarled, feeling my wolf wanting to come out. "Why would they attack us? We've never had problems with them."

       Kevin let out a broken laugh. "Your brother--" he paused, breathing heavily. "Mason tried to kill the Luna of Blood Moon. The Alpha of Blood Moon found out and attacked before Mason could kill his Luna," he said feebly.

       I was beyond shocked Mason, my brother-- would try to kill a Luna. Mason had a Mate and they led well together. Mason knew what it felt like to have a Mate, to love and care for one. I didn't understand why he would be so stupid and try to kill another Alpha's Mate. The idea didn't sound right and I was in denial. Mason couldn't have been so stupid.

       "They're at the house," he said.

       I knew what Kevin was referring to. He was referring to my family. He didn't give me any indication of whether they were alive or dead. I was going to find out soon enough. 

       I brought Kevin to the safe sanction under the pack-house with the other wolves. There were two wolves trying to help those that were injured. I placed Kevin on a spare bed and left him in the care of the two wolves.

       I shifted again, running towards my brother's home. It was the one place I didn't check, I was saving it for last because I did not want to come to terms with the truth. I didn't want to believe there was a chance that my entire family was gone. I had hope that they were just injured but not dead. I wouldn't accept their deaths, I couldn't.

       As I neared the house, I picked up the scent of metallic-- of blood. I could smell my parents, Mason, and his Mate. I heard soft sobbing coming from the house. Someone was alive. I barged through the already damaged doors, following the scent of my family. I stopped in my tracks when I saw my parents laying together.

       I shifted into my human form and dropped to my knees. My mother was beyond repair and was almost unrecognizable. My father's body was close to mutilation and I couldn't even stand to look at them, much less touch them. I couldn't hear a heartbeat or two. They were gone. I had never told them bye. My parents were murdered in cold blood.

       I felt my eyes burning, I hadn't realized I was crying for the loss of my parents. I was never going to hear my father's ridiculous jokes and I would never hear my mother's musical laugh again. I wiped away my tears furiously. I grabbed some sheets and covered their bloodied bodies.

       The little hope I had was leaving me.

       I remembered someone else was in the house somewhere. I had heard crying. My eyes were red from crying but I didn't care. I followed the crying and weeping all the way to my brother's room. There, in his room, was his very alive Mate. She was holding my brother, Mason, tightly. I shook my head, not wanting to believe that he was also gone.

       My brother's Mate, Alessandra, looked up as soon as she realized I was in the room. Her face had some minor scrapes and bruises but she was the most stable person I had seen all day. She was shaking her head and sobbing loudly now. I went over to her, I wanted to hug her and tell her everything was going to be okay but I didn't want to give her false hope.

       "Mason," she sobbed, "Mason is dead." She was holding my older brother close to her chest. My eyes followed my brother's still body. I noticed Alessandra's stomach was protruding in a way that made her look pregnant. Alessandra was pregnant with my brother's baby and he was dead.

       I touched Mason's cold face and felt a sob leaving my lips. My only brother was gone. My parents were gone. I barely had a pack left. I felt pain for Alessandra and my brother's unborn child. Their child would never know their father.

       It was all Blood Moon's fault.

       Now, that my father and brother were deceased, that meant only one thing.

       I was now the Alpha of Huntington.

This is like my favorite fucking prologue. CANNOT wait to start posting this story!!!  Vote and comment please :)))