Chapter 2.

2.

“Here we are the fourth floor!” Dallas chimed as the elevator doors opened to reveal an immaculate modern living area with four hallways extending from it like tentacles. “So, Anderson Hall is our residence building. As you may have noticed it is two towers connected at the base by a lobby. The left side holds all girl students, the right guys.” Turning the corner, the girls reached a cream door with the numbers 422 printed on it in hot pink letters. Digging through her oversized leopard bag for her room keys, Dallas prattled on, “Here we are!! There are two other girls that share a suite with us, but they don’t move back in ‘till tomorrow. I came back a day early to show you the Worthington ropes.” Dallas finally found her keys and opened the door with a flourish. “Ta-da!”

            The door led into a small simple living room. The couch and chairs were various shades of blue and a reclaimed wood table lay in the center covered with magazines in various stages of read. A bottle of glittery yellow nail polish sat on a copy of Allure, cap only half on. In the corner of the room sat a mid-sized mini fridge and various small appliances. The wall art consisted of a full photo mural of the ocean and a flat screen television housed in a baroque frame. The whole room screamed lived in elegance.

“One of the girls that lives with us had her interior designer mother furnished this room for us. We spend a ton of time in here, it’s our chill room. But now for the big finish, this… is our rom!!” She thrusts open a door on the left side of the living room revealing a beautiful bedroom, half blank.

            The room was split down the middle via an imaginary line. Each side held a bed, a small vanity table with stool, a desk with shelves above it, and a closet. While the whole right side was decked out in Hollywood glam (leopard sheets and a black quilted comforter, framed black and white photos of Hollywood legends, and a crisp white shag rug), the left half was stark. The only thing shared between the two sides was a string of eggplant colored lights the crisscrossed the entire ceiling and a door cracked halfway open that led into an immaculate bathroom full of black and white furnishings. The room had walls the color of creamy caramel and black carpet. Above the decorated bed the Texas state outline was painted on the wall with the name Dallas painted smack in the middle.

“Wow! This room is amazing! ” Allie’s eyes were wide as she took in every inch of the space in awe.

“Well gosh, thanks! I’ve lived in here by myself for two years now so I’ve had plenty of time to decorate.” She laughed, “if you hate the bathroom we can easily redecorate.’

“No, I love it!”  Exclaimed Allie just as her father and Miss. Dubois strode through the door followed by a handsome guy about Allie’s age who was pushing a cart piled high with her boxes.

“Well, look at this place, its great! Do all of the rooms look like this?” Mr. West chuckled, looking around

Before he could finish his thought Miss Dubois jumped in, “At Worthington we strongly believe that if the students are allowed to express themselves through their rooms and clothing, they are less distracted during their lessons.”  

“Great, makes sense. Well darling are you settling in? I hate to do this but…”

“Deposition in the morning. I know, I’m doing great, no worries.” Allie was used to this, Walter West was an important man and thus time spent outside of work was a luxury.

“Well if you’re sure, Bye Allie. I’ll call you tonight before you go to bed. “He gave her a quick hug and shook Miss. Dubois’s hand before giving one last brief wave to the group and heading out the door.

“Allegra this is Garrett, he will be one of your classmates. Garrett if you would just stack the boxes by the bed and you may leave.” Garret looked up from his lifting and looked confused, realizing he was there only for his brawn “So as your dorm mother and advisor, we will be getting to know each other very well throughout the year so feel free to call me Ellie.”

            Ellen Dubois was in her late twenties. With a fresh face and an obvious love of pink she looked like a waspy brunette Elle Woods. She wore a pale pink blouse and a black feather skirt that showed off chiseled calves created by years of platform heels.

“You have your schedule and your things, so I will let you get situated and see you soon. Have fun you two!” She flounced out of the room, pink patent handbag swinging as she went.

*****

            A few hours later the room had come together. With Dallas’s help Allie had made her bed with her new black quilt (it was adorned with teal bird silhouettes and was beautiful), hung some of her favorite photos and old film posters, and organized all of her school supplies and knick knacks.

“Well Sugar this place looks great. Your stuff has breathed a whole new life into it. This was fun, but I am starving! Let’s go get dinner.” At the mention of food Allie realized how long it had been since her last mean and looked at the clock. It was after 7.

            An elevator ride and walk across the quad later the girls had reached a large building with large windows covering every side.

“This is the campus eatery, it’s boring, but they have the greatest food here .The mac and cheese reminds me of my nanas. Oh gosh, now I’m even hungrier. Let’s go in already!” Dallas entered first, holding the door for Allie as she went.

            The eatery was full of large round tables seating ten each. The entire perimeter of the room was a buffet with foods from all cultures, from burgers to pad Thai. The girls got their food (mac and cheese and chicken satay for Dallas, and stir fry with rice and veggies for Allie) and sat down at a table near the center of the room there were seats for a couple hundred students, but only 50 or so in the cafeteria, most of them on their laptops or reading while they ate. The girls began to eat, a comfortable silence settling over them.