The Breath of an Angel

"Mrs. Hatcher?"

I immediately dropped the magazine I had been carelessly leafing through, and turned to face Dr. Pederssen. He slipped his pen into his white coat pocket, and adjusted his wire rimmed glasses, a grim look brewing beneath them. My face fell and my shoulders drooped slightly as my breath hitched in my throat.

"Will you please join me in the conference room?"

My husband entered the waiting room from his third time around the building, pacing the halls, trying to keep his mind off of the bad thoughts.

"Bill? Dr. Pederssen would like to speak with us." I reached out for his hand as he quickly strode across the grey, dismal room, heavy with stress and grief.

I looked at him, and he gave me a reassuring smile, but his eyes were filled with worry. I gripped Bill's hand tightly as we followed Dr. Pederssen down the long, white hallway. He reached the glass door to the conference room, and fumbled with his keys. He slid the short, silver key in, and his hand trembled slightly as he reached for the door handle. He stepped aside to let us in. I glanced up at Bill, who stared ahead, imagining the worst, but hoping for the best.

Dr. Pederssen shut the door gently, and closed the blinds to keep us away from prying eyes. He cleared his throat, and sat down.

"Sit, please." He flashed a nervous smile, then poured himself a glass of water from the pitcher in the middle of the table. 

"How is she? Is everything all right? Is she going to be okay?"

I gently grabbed Bill's elbow and pulled him into the green cushioned chair next to mine. I laced my fingers between his and looked up at him. His facial expression was set into stone, the look I'd recieved many times. This look was directed towards Dr. Pederssen.

Dr. Pederssen gently set his class on the table, and looked at Bill, then at me. "She is in a stable condition, but that could change in a split second. But for now, everything is fine."

I let out a sigh, realizing I had been holding my breath. A small smile crept onto my face, and I leaned on Bill's shoulder. "C-can we see h-her?" Bill's voice cracked, and I looked up to see a single tear slide down his cheek.