Prologue

Prologue

2 Years Earlier

"I love you." I smile down at the beautiful, petite brunette before me.

"I love you more." She embraces me, leaning up to peck me on the cheek before getting ready to leave.

"Not possible." I tease. "I'll see you tonight?" I grab her hand before she can walk away.

"Tonight?" She hesitates, glancing over her shoulder to look at me.

"Our anniversary. You forgot?" I arch a brow at her. "That's a first." I chuckle. She's usually the one who has to remind me.

"Right." She nods. "About that..."

"Oh no," I laugh, searching her brown eyes, "what now?"

"I have to work overtime tonight," she says, averting her gaze from mine.

"Oh..." I drawl in disappointment. "That's fine," I quickly add upon seeing her face. "Don't worry. You don't have to feel guilty. We'll celebrate another time."

"Are you sure, Ben?" She asks wearily.

I nod. "Go." I encourage. "I'll see you. We'll celebrate on Saturday."

She turns to leave but then stops. "And your parents?"

I hold back a grin. "I'll make sure they don't join our anniversary celebration this time." I promise her, reassuring her that there won't be a repeat of last year. My overwhelming family tends to make her uncomfortable.

"You better." She jokes.

I shake my head to myself as I watch Bex walk away. How did I get so lucky?

"Your girl's cheating on you," a voice says from behind me before I feel a hand rest atop my shoulder.

I angrily shrug his hand off, moving to face him. "When are you gonna drop that theory? It's getting old."

Oliver, my best bud, chuckles. "As soon as you believe me."

I scowl at him. "Bex isn't like that."

"They all are." He argues.

"Bex isn't."

"Alright, alright," he holds his hands up apologetically, "I'll back off."

"Good," I reply. "'Cause I'm getting sick of hearing it."

"When are you going to propose?" He asks, dropping it, for the time being.

I take out the box from my coat pocket. "I was going to tonight but she's working an extra shift." I open it and stare down at the ring. I've been saving for a while now.

"Tough break," he slaps me on the back. "Maybe another time."

I change topics, tired of the focus being on me. "What about you? When are you going to settle?"

"Never." He chuckles, entertained by the mere thought of it. "Why should I? I have girls dropping at my feet. You did too once; that was before you made yourself unavailable."

I scoff even though I know he has a point. "You'll never change. I thought it was just a phase in high school but I was wrong. You're a player. It's your identity."

"And your identity is held in one person, Bex." He retorts, not bothered by my comment. In fact, he's proud of it.

I stare at him for a second longer. He's never purposely tried to annoy me. "What's your problem, dude? You're supposed to be my friend. My best friend at that."