barely aliVe

"She's going to school," I heard my dad yell.

"She can't! She's mentally ill!" Doctor Lansing responded.

"Doctor, we can put her on a lighter medication and send her to school. No after school activities, just school, home. Then for chemo, she comes back." Nurse Mary said.

The last few weeks in the hospital have been uneventfully miserable.

I sit, get injected, throw up. It's an endless rotation.

"Well, Ms. Ziegler, I'll see you in a few weeks! We've given you a medication that will make you less vulnerable when you hallucinate." Nurse Mary smiled.

"So they're hiding me, in the back of you're brain, they're hiding me?!" Derrick yelled.

"Calm down, I don't want anyone to get hurt!" I whisper.

Nurse Johnson and Mary began packing up my stuff when Doctor Lansing rushed in.

"MARY, JOHNSON ITS ARTHUR!" He yelled.

"WHY DIDN'T YOU PAGE US?!" Johnson yelled while rushing out with the other two.

I jumped up and grabbed my IV and HR monitor and walk quickly behind them. "The pagers weren't working so I got you!"

"Well, what's wrong?" Johnson asked.

"W-we were giving him his weekly psychiatric exam and h-he-he's-hes-"

"WHAT!" Mary yelled.

"HE'S CURED! He doesn't have schizophrenia anymore!" The psychiatric nurse said.

"What? Is that even possible?" Johnson asked.

"Possible, not probable!"

"When're can I be released?" Arthur laughed mercilessly.

"Soon, very soon. 3 hours at the most." Doctor Lansing smiled.

"Great, thank're!" He smiled.

"We need to get back to Kenzie," They turned around and started walking towards my room. I got out from behind the plant and ran back to my room with my HR monitor.

I sit back onto the bed.

how weird is it you get his disorder a few days before he's cured
you're paranoid
but my real thoughts are the only sane thing I have left

"You're going to be tired," Doctor Lansing says taking out my IV, "Remember no exerting yourself!"

•••

I lay on my bed as stars dance across the ceiling, bells rang in my ears, and in my head the thoughts of school the next day.

"Hey, Kenz?" Maddie walked in, I looked up slowly. "H-how are you feeling?"

"Not good, I'm insane, I have two mental illnesses and I have cancer-"

"I know you're going to be mad, but I have your friends here." She smiled a little.

I sat up quickly, making me dizzy, "No!"

My four favorite people walked in and Maddie left.