Chapter 1

• Dedicated to Hayley B.

Chapter 1

The ground, just a story down, was covered in a thick layer of orange, yellow, red, and brown leaves.  The wind was picking up a little more each moment, blowing more and more leaves away with every minute.  I looked away from the window to my empty room.  A messy pile of suitcases was stacked up in front of the door.

There was a light knock at my door.  “Come in,” I breathed.  

My mother opened the door and gave me a dreary, apologetic look.  “The car is here,” she told me with a small, sad smile.  

I grabbed my bag and carefully shuffled out of the room.  Outside was a black limousine.  I turned to my mother, who had followed me outside and was now next to me.  “Who are they?” I asked.

My mom sighed and pushed back my hair.  “There’s too much to explain now.”

“Then maybe you shouldn’t waste anymore time,” I suggested.  All this time I thought my life was my own.  I thought I had my own agency, that I could choose for myself.  How wrong I must have been.

My mother shook her head sadly.  “If I spoke at the pace necessary for me to tell the story in time for you to leave, you wouldn’t understand a thing.”  I let out a frustrated sigh and looked to the ground, wet, dead leaves covered even the pathway we were on.  My mother continued, “I’ll send you a letter.  I’ll explain everything, but, for now, I can’t, and you have to leave.”

I nodded my head and looked up at her, my eyes filled with tears.  My dad came walking down the steps, helping the chauffeur with the last of my bags.  I gave both my mom and my dad long hugs goodbye.  I wouldn’t see them till the wedding, and we weren’t fortunate enough to know when that would be.  

The last minutes with my parents flew by.  The chauffeur called for me, “Isabelle, we are late for our arrival.”  I kissed both my parents on the cheek and hurried to the limo.  Once I was safely inside I turned my attention immediately to the back window, where I had a perfect view of my parents.  They waved me goodbye, and when I returned the wave, my mother burst into tears.  I could only imagine what it must be like to see their only child driving away, not knowing when they’ll see her again.

When my parents were out of sight, I turned around and began to cry.  How did I go so long so oblivious?  Soon, I ran out of tears to cry and I fell back in my seat, and quickly I was met with sleep.  Hours passed during my unconsciousness.

I was finally awoken with a soft voice, “Isabelle, Isabelle, we’ve arrived.”

I groaned and opened my eyes.  I was surprised when my eyes only met the inside of the limo.  The memory flooded back into my mind and tears formed in my eyes once again.  I cleared my throat, hoping that would also clear the tears.  “We’ve arrived where?” I asked hoarsely.   

“Your new home,” he said with a small smile.  The man reached out his hand for me to take.  I gave him a slight smile back and climbed out of the car.

I was stunned by the sight in front of me.  A huge stone driveway lead to a large mansion, positioned gracefully on the top of a hill.  It seemed to be five or six times the size of one modest home.  The outside of the house seemed to be made of some kind of smooth stone.  It was light colored and breathtaking.

I looked back to my chauffeur, his elderly smile seemed inviting, so I asked a question that I was hesitant to ask beforehand.  “Who are these people?” I questioned.

“Why don’t you meet them and see,” he suggested.

I sighed, and followed the man as he began walking away.  “Will they be kind?” I asked.  I was sure the worry showed through my voice.