Cactus Jac

A lot can happen in four weeks.

Holby said hello to its new CEO, Alison Tate, said goodbye to Ollie Valentine, off to learn more about "new Ollie" and farewell to Rik Griffin on his research post, having secured the funding for his bladder replacement programme. Dom was riding shotgun with Serena on AAU, F1's had moved on to new challenges in cardiothoracics and neurology, while Hansen returned to Keller under the watchful eye of Sacha Levy.

And Jac?

Jac had not returned. Having written then removed the "welcome back" card from Jac's office, it now stood behind the small, red cactus that had been brought back to Fletch's office by Sacha a few minutes earlier.

"Your turn to look after the Jactus I believe," Sacha had smiled brightly.

"Thanks," replied Fletch, taking the small plant from him. "Anything?"

"No," replied Sacha. "You?"

"Nothing." Fletch held up his phone, showing the last message sent to Jac some weeks ago at an ungodly hour of the morning. "Good," it began. "You know where I am when you are ready."

"I guess she's still not ready yet," reasoned Sacha.

"I guess not. I wish to god she was back here though. Tate's a good surgeon, but she's got too many other things to do. Meanwhile I'm trying to coerce agency staff in, I've lost count of how many shifts I've covered myself, and even Mikey is giving me careers advice." Fletch passed his hand across the back of his neck, as gesture seen so many times recently. "I miss her Sacha."

"I know." Sacha perched on the corner of his desk. "What are you going to do when she does get back?"

Fletch looked over at the cactus for a moment and contemplated. "I don't know," he answered. "I really don't know."

"I think you should tell her how you really feel," Sacha began.

Fletch sighed at the paperwork in front of him before replying "I'm not sure I know the answer to that question myself."

Sacha thought for a moment before giving his measured reply. "It would take an idiot not to see that you're in love with her."

"That obvious, is it?" countered Fletch. "No wonder she headed for the hills!"

"I don't mean it like that," Sacha replied. "Maybe someone who didn't really know the two of you wouldn't be able to tell. But I know you well, and I know Jac well too. Raf knew too," he added.

"How the hell did Raf know, when I'm not even sure?"

"He knew you like you were his own brother. That's why he knew before you did."

Fletch didn't speak for some time. His gaze shifted from Sacha to the red cactus and did a full circuit of the room before his eyes rested on the cactus again. "She asked me to go with her," he said finally.

"What?" asked Sacha, puzzled.

"She asked me to go with her, the day she left. "To get out of here, throw a dart at a departure board, go anywhere."

"And?"

"And... and I said no. The kids, this place..." he added feebly.

"That was your sign, Fletch," Sacha said gently. "That was Jac telling you she needed you."

"Yeah." Fletch looked at the cactus again. "And I blew it."

Sacha reached over and picked up the cactus. He looked at it thoughtfully for a moment, then help it to his ear. "What's that you say?" he began. "He still has a chance? If he's brave enough to take it?" Sacha held out the cactus to Fletch again. "It's for you," he said quietly, "if you want it."

Fletch stared at Sacha, the beginnings of hope lighting his eyes briefly, before they clouded again. "Except I have no idea where she is," he said, taking the cactus and replacing it on the side. "She never even answered my text, remember?"

"She did answer it," replied Sacha. "She told you she was safe. That means she didn't want you to worry. Then you told her that you were there when she was ready. When she needed you. But, she already needed you. You turned her down."

"But..." began Fletch, silenced as Sacha held up his palm.

"I know," Sacha replied. "But you have to remember who Jac is. What life has dealt her. Turned down, left, abandoned, from an early age. She already told you that she needs you Fletch. But what she needs to hear, is that you want her."

The inevitable phone beep cut short this conversation.

"I'm needed back on Keller," Sacha said, as he stood up. "But trust me on this one Fletch. Tell her you want her." With a friendly, fatherly smile, Sacha left the small office.

"It's not as simple as that," Fletch muttered under his breath as Sacha retreated. "I don't even know where she is," he continued quietly as Frieda entered the office.

"AAU are transferring a patient to us in 20 minutes," said Frieda, passing him a slip of paper.

"OK, thanks," replied Fletch as he reached for the sheet.

Freida gave him a cool stare.

"Was there anything else?" he added.

"Yes. She's at home."

"I thought you said she was coming from AAU?" replied Fletch, confused.

"The patient is coming from AAU," explained Frieda slowly. "And Jac is at home."

"What? How..."

"She went to see Elliott. Flew back yesterday. She let him know that she arrived back safely."

"Elliott? Fletch sounded even more confused.

"Ell-i-ott Hope," Frieda practically spelt out. "In Karachi. She has been at the hospital there. Pain management course. She has done really well."

Fletch stood up and went over to Frieda; his hands gripped the top of her arms gently. "How do you even know this?"

"Elliott's prodijay, yes?" Frieda replied. "We are friends."

"Why didn't you tell me this before?"

"You never asked," Frieda replied. "And, you needed to ask. When you were ready."

Fletch pulled Frieda into a bear hug.

"Fletch..." she began.

"Frieda, right now I bloody love you," Fletch said, a wide smile appearing on his face.

"Shit. You are supposed to love Jac." Frieda replied sardonically.

Fletch released the hug, then pulled her back in for another one, albeit a much quicker hug this time. "I need you to ring Tate. Tell her it's one of the kids. Emergency," he added as he released Frieda for a second time and grabbed his phone.

"When will you be back?" Frieda asked with the hint of a smile playing around her black painted lips.

"Who knows?" Fletch replied, checking his pocket for his keys. "Family emergencies are unpredictable."

"OK. Just go already," Frieda ordered as Fletch paused over some files on his desk. "You would not take files home in an emergency."

"No." Fletch replied, heading for the office door. "You will be alright?" he called over his shoulder.

"If we are not, I will be telling Ms Tate and not you," Frieda countered. "Go."