English Lesson I guess

So, I kinda stole this lesson idea from ThreeMadKatz and whothrewthatpaper.

*clears throat* Good day, class! My name is Ms. Brown (soon to be Mrs. Hill) and today I would like to give you a lesson on the English language! Well, at least try, anyway. I'm not the greatest at it even though it's my main language (I don't know much of any other language but I really want to learn Korean).

Let's start with an example sentence.

"He obtained his degree."

Now, let's start with the noun. I don't know how it is is other languages, but in English, nouns are people, places, or things. The nouns in this sentence are "He", "his", and "degree". The subject of the sentence it typically a noun. Now, the subject of this sentence is "He." This sentence is about a man who obtained his degree.

Next, let's do the verb. Verbs have different tenses. There's past, present, and future. Past tense refers to something that happened in the past. Present tense refers to something that happened in the here and now. And the future tense refers to something that will happen in the near or distant future. In this sentence, the verb is "obtained". The verb is in the past tense because the man "obtained" his degree in the past.

Verb tense examples:
Past: obtained
Present: obtain
Future: will obtain

The object in this sentence is also a noun. The object here is "his degree." This is not necessarily important right now because we've already discussed nouns. But, simple sentences are typically written in this format: Subject+Verb+Object.

Each sentence must have a complete idea that can stand alone. Some sentences, such as the one we're analyzing here, are the complete idea that can stand alone. A complete idea that can stand alone is called an independent clause. An idea that cannot stand alone is called a dependent clause.

That's the basic idea of the English language. I say basic idea because this is only an explanation of the simple sentences. There are also compound sentences, and compound-complex sentences, but I'm not going to get into those here. Maybe, if this goes over well, I'll post another lesson on the English language.

Now, there's a few terms that I say which are completely wrong and are terrible grammar. The original terms are "might be able to" and "used to be able to". I say, "might could" and "used to could". That's how it's said in my area of the United States. The southern states have terrible grammar. And in my area, we have a specific name for this grammar. We call it "Yadkinese".

The way I pronounce things is a little different, too. I don't take the time to enunciate words like "Knoxville" or "Boonville". I'm trying to think of a way to type out how I pronounce it. Let me think...I would think that I could type it out like this: B-oo-n-v'll. It's really pronounced like, B-oo-n-vill. I guess that's how I would type it out. The "e" at the end of any word like that is silent.

So, obviously the English language is really weird. Even some people who speak it fluently kinda suck at it. Myself is included in that list of people. Drake always corrects my grammar because I kinda suck at it.

Anyway, I hope this lesson was helpful! Class dismissed!