Chapter 1: The Record Store

[Kendrick]

I arrived home, tired from the long day. I went upstairs, threw my backpack on my bed, and went to my bathroom to get ready to head to the record store for my shift.

I splashed some cold water on my face to wake myself up a bit. I looked up at the mirror and looked at my reflection.

My mother's brown curly hair along with my father's small, dark eyes stood out from my reflection. I never really noticed these features until today. It was like one of those moments where you see it but at the same time, you don't see it.

I went back to my room to grab my navy hoodie and switched out my gym shoes for black converse; Downstairs, in the kitchen, I could hear my mom digging inside of the fridge.

"Hey, do you want some lunch before you leave?" my mom asked pulling some eggs and butter out of the fridge. "Nah, I'll get something on the way back from work. I'll text you when I'm on my way home, bye." I waved, grabbing the keys to my car.

[Camile]

My music was blaring from my phone when I heard a pause and a loud "ding." Damn. Two missed calls and a text from Tyler. It's like he's always onto me and trying to see if I was up to something. Of course, that's what most annoying boyfriends do but the way Tyler did it was so...different.

Tyler: Call me back right now.

I sighed and turned my music up louder. He could wait a little longer. I grabbed a t-shirt and jeans to change into. After changing, I stared at the picture on my vanity. It was us.

The picture had been taken after our first date. It was like any other first date; we went to the drive-in movie theater and ate pizza. It was a pretty basic first date. He picked me up in his white convertible (yes I know very cliché).

The first date wasn't that bad. We had a good time watching the movie. He even attempted to hold my hand during the scarier parts of the movie. Though, he seemed more scared than I did.

He asked me out during sophomore year and we had been together for maybe a year. At the time everything seemed perfect but then our relationship had gone downhill since my birthday.

On my 17th birthday, he took me out to dinner. He seemed so antsy to get out of there. He hardly listened to what I was saying and was constantly checking his phone. He wasn't even unlocking it, he was just turning it on and staring at the lock screen. I wanted to walk out the restaurant right then, He wasn't paying attention to me at all, but the better part of me said to stay.

When we finally got back to my place, he immediately dragged me to my room. On my bed was a small box with a bow on it. I looked at him surprisingly and he smiled. When I opened the box, a gold necklace with a ruby dangling from the end of it, was inside. I thought that was why he was so antsy, to show me my present. After putting on the necklace, we sat and talked on my bed.

At first, the conversation was about random things: college, my family, but as our conversation continued, it took a serious turn. He started asking me about my virginity, when or what would I be ok with. He moved next to me on the bed playing with my hair. I held my breath. He leaned in and started kissing me.

Forcing his tongue down my throat and using his weight against me; he pinned me against my bed. I felt as he began reaching up my dress to touch me there. I quietly told him to stop; my parents were home and I was starting to feel uncomfortable. He removed himself from on top of me and looked at me. He didn't say a word and just stayed at the foot of my bed. After a minute, he got up and slammed the door behind him as he left.

I knew he was the type of guy that liked sex but somehow I thought being with him would change the way he was. I've been with him for a while, I decided to stay with him and give him another chance.  We haven't had sex, I haven't allowed it. Either way, I've had suspicions of him cheating on me. I probably am the only girl he's dated that hasn't had sex with him yet. I just want someone I can trust.

He's changed his attitude towards me drastically since that day. I've seen the way he looks at girls when he's with me. I haven't tried to figure if he has or hasn't been cheating on me .

I realized my phone was ringing and it was Tyler. "Well, finally you answer." "What's up sorry I was busy." I stared at the picture, grabbed it, and placed it on the vanity, face down. I grabbed my purse and keys. "Well, I was wondering if you wanted to go to homecoming." I stopped in front of my front door.

Is this really how he's asking me? "Oh, homecoming. Yeah, why wouldn't we go together." I said holding back an exasperated sigh. "Good I have my suit already and you should get something red to match with me." "Yeah, ill see if I can find something. I have to go I'm heading out." "Alright text you later, love ya bye" "bye" I hung up and unlocked my car. "Love ya" rang out like

[Kendrick]

"Thank you, have a nice day." I gave the customer their bag and smiled. The record store is my go-to place whenever I need some peace and quiet to get away from the house. Plus there aren't that many busy days and the pay is alright.

The door opened and in walked a girl. I immediately recognized her from school. She had long brown hair and deep hazel eyes. Her name is Camile Locke. She's dating a guy on the baseball team. I stared at her curiously, this wasn't her first visit here.

She walked up to the counter. "Hey I'm looking for a Pink Floyd album, could you show me where he would be?" I turned towards her. "Yeah, he's on the top shelf for rock." She stared at me. I walked over to her and reached up to grab the box filled with Pink Floyd. "Thanks, You go to my school right?" She asked staring at me.

I grabbed a record. "Yeah, I'm Kendrick." She glanced down at the record I took out. "Nice to meet you, I'm Camile." We shook hands and she smiled. There was something about her I couldn't quite comprehend. She was beautiful, no doubt, but there was something behind that smile. I can't describe it.

The door dinged again. I looked over to see Tyler Hunt looking around and then walking straight towards us. He looked at me and then grabbed Camile like she was a prize he won at the carnival. I heard a thud and looked down. Camile had dropped the box after Tyler had shoved her towards him.

"Tyler I was trying to grab something," she looked at me, "I'm so sorry I'll help clean this up." She glared at Tyler and began to pick up the records on the floor. I crouched down. "I got this, you go." She looked at me and nodded and stood up.

"The guy was looking at you funny. I didn't want any misunderstandings that you're mine," he said, grabbing her hand. "Shut up and let's go," she grabbed her purse, glanced at me, and walked away with him. I felt bad for her. She has no idea who she is dating.