Chapter One. The Discovery.

I walked through the door to see my mother and father standing in the lounge room. Something wasn't right. My parents were split so my father never came over unless it was an emergency or he was picking my little sister up for the weekend. "What's wrong?" I asked automatically. "What makes you think that something's wrong?" My father asked. "You're here." I said. "Zero!" My mother warned. "What? He doesn't come here unless there's an emergency." I said pointing at my father.

"Zero this isn't the time to be a smart alic." My mother said. I crossed my arms and stood there. I hated it when this happened. When my father came here and my mother agreed that we needed to 'talk' about something. It was usually something ridiculous. "So what is it this time?" "Zero, sit down." My mother said. "I'd rather stand." I said calmly.

My mother sighed. "Its been brought to our attention that you haven't been yourself lately." She said. "Define." I said I had a slight idea of where this was going. I hoped I was wrong though. "Well, you've isolated yourself, you skip school, you're always up late, and I found these in your room today." She said holding out two knives and three razors. I had been right about where this conversation was going. I had hidden them in my room. Yes, I cut myself, but only to remind myself that I was alive, and that everything was real. That I was in an endless, pain-filled world where I suffered. A place where suffering was what I deserved and got. However, I never wanted my mother to know.

My eyes widened and I held my wrists. "Why were you in my room?" I couldn't look at them. "Ze-" "No! You had no right and no business to be in there! So why did you go in there?" I yelled. I looked at my mother in the eyes. I could see tears in her eyes. "I just want to know whose blood is on these blades." She said.

"Why do you care? You haven't worried about me before!" That was a half lie. I looked at the ground. "Zero, we're here to help you, your mother and I are worried. Just show us your wrists." My father said moving closer to me. "No, stay away!" I yelled but he moved quickly and grabbed my right wrist. He pulled my jumper sleeve up to my elbow revealing the dozen scars, old and fresh. My mother gasped in horror and dropped the blades. I pulled my arm free. "You happy? You finally know!" I yelled.

"Show us your other wrist!" He yelled reaching for my other arm. I jerked back. "No. You solved the mystery of whose blood it is." I said. "Zero, why would you do this?" My mother cried. I rolled my eyes. "Ask him." I pointed at my father. My mother gasped.

"What did I do?" Kein asked, acting innocently and clueless. He was good at acting innocent when he was guilty. "You're the one who told me that it was my fault that mum left you. You told me that if I hadn't been born, mum wouldn't have left you." I said angrily. My mother shot my father a look. I knew my father didn't want my mother to know. But she deserved to know what went on when she wasn't around. I could see the surprise on my mother's face and the anger burning on my father's.

"Zero, none of that is true. Your not the reason I left your father. I left your father for my own reasons." Suddenly, my father launched himself onto me, tackling me to the ground. I hit my head on the couch close by. I grunted in pain. Then the real pain began. My father started punching me in the face, making my nose bleed and creating cuts from the blows of his hand which his wedding ring rested.

I was used to this. My father has always hated me because I was a boy and not a girl, but it didn't make it any less surprising. I laid there taking the hits. My mother screamed over and over and tried pulling Kein off, but he just threw her across the room with one hand. Suddenly I heard soft whimpers. I opened my eyes to see my little sister standing on the stairs crying.

She was only fourteen, but she had her own problems to deal with. Like me, she cut herself, but unlike me, she had tried to commit suicide. I found her in the process and that's how I found about what she was dealing with. I didn't tell her about me, about our father abusing me and how I was cutting myself, I kept it from her. My father raised his arm again and my sister lurched herself forward. She ran and within a couple of steps, she was there trying to pull our father off me. "Dad, no. Please stop." She cried.