Ultimum Carceron 15

As part of the unfortunate effects of living subterraneanly, Jim couldn't visibly distinguish day and night apart. Only the lit tunnel outside their window simulated any kind of light attributable to a time of day, even if it was an ugly red from the tinted glass.  

He was tired of doing this for days, this routine of insomniatic tension that kept him moving instead of keeping him rested. Every night was lying inside the tent, staying awake and looking at the surroundings, mostly invisible to him save for the dim maroon splotching the stone floor. Tonight, when he needed to escape his sleepless confinement to his cot, he wandered around the hideout until he was leaning against the wall, quietly watching the mile-wide river of waste outside the window. He was not the only one awake, however. 

The creaking of his cot woke up the person sleeping closest to him: Juniper. She had heard his footsteps, though it wasn't until she drowsily saw Jim's massive figure walk outside the tent that she realized she wasn't dreaming. Even while half-sleepily rubbing the rheum out of her eyes, it nagged at her why he was up at 4:00 AM, Rebecca's suspicions about him immediately coming to mind as an answer. She hadn't believed Rebecca's claim that Jim was untrustworthy, not when the more mistrustful Lin and Rebecca herself were around, but the crime itself, ruining the food, benefited nobody, certainly not two convicts who depended on the escape's success. That realization ruled out everyone; as bad as it would be if Jim had malicious intentions, Rebecca's suspicions were the only leads she had at the moment. 

She too crawled  off her bed and attempted straightening her hair with one hand. Her mind feeling determined but mushy, she walked outside of the tent, heading right for the other tent when she spotted Jim's true location in her eye's corner. He was against the wall, leaning as he stared outside at the gallons of red liquid and white foam surge soundlessly to whatever was at the end of this chamber. His grungy face was covered in light red while much of his body was darkness. As she came closer, she could see his breathing was relaxed, and his eyes concentrated outside. He saw her when she was within arm's length of him. Saying nothing, she leaned against the window, positioned opposite of him. His expression, empty and relaxed before, hardened at the sight of her.

"What's going on, Jim?" Juniper asked. Her tone was friendly and light.

Jim frowned. "Can't sleep anymore."

Juniper nodded, with a thin smile. "I'm sorry to hear that. I have pills back in my purse."

"No, thanks," Jim said. "I've taken those pills before. They work, but when I take them, it's like a dreamless sleep. Not pleasant, or unpleasant, just nothing. It's not a feeling I enjoy."

Juniper shrugged. "All I can say is that they work for me."

"I'm also frustrated," Jim said, "all the time." 

"What's bothering you?" Juniper asked.

"Her," Jim growled. "She's only part of my problem, but she worries me."

"Jim, if she did something to our food supply, we'll figure it out," Juniper said reasonably.

"Sure," Jim said. It was hard to say if he was being sarcastic. "But she is a traitor. I know it, and I'll figure it out." 

Juniper looked at him. "Jim, do you think it's possible that Rebecca isn't the one responsible? It scares me that someone did this, but the motive doesn't add up." 

"Oh?"

"She can't get out of here without our help, even when she knows the way out," Juniper insisted. "Maybe it's not her, maybe it's..."