Chapter 2

The stadium roars with excitement as we complete the first challenge, Rickey hands over the medallion to the king, as we line up for the next trial.

"If we lose, we will never do this again..." I mumble seeing the happy and cheerful look on Rickey's face.

"Trial two, is a series of events of your past, present, and future. Which ever the flame brings you to first will be where you start. How you escape, is up to you."

"You guys ready?" Fernando says, breathing heavily, "I need to get back in shape, that first trial running from those mini demons...I think I may of peed a bit."

"I'm ready, what about you Rickey?"

He glances over almost as if he hadn't heard anything I said. He turns back looking at the door as it slowly spreads open. The sounds of winds and the smell of smoke fill the area, as part of the eternal flame is exposed.

"Walk in now, future gaurdians, witness your greatness." The announcer says.

The audience goes quiet which holds suspence of the moment. We all walk up slowly, and the closer I get I hear whispers.

"You hear that??" Rickey asks faintly.

"Hear what?" I ask, but get no response.

The flame gets hotter as I lose focus. It begins to reject me and I fall to the ground. I stare at the flame as it watches back.

It knows I failed, it knows it rejected me, and it knows I can no longer be considered a Gaurdian. White light illuminates the room, as everything except me and the flame are turned to stone.

Dark trumpets fill the air with sound. The flame begins to go down in size... as the figure walks closer and closer through the smoke.

"The flame may have rejected you, but i am no flame... tell me Drey what is it you desire most?"

I hesitate thinking, is this part of the test, this never happened in my past.. it hasn't happened any time recently.. so the future? "All of it... all of the powers the flame can give me.."

"The flame only can grant one... one power to a host... no one can withstand the everlasting power of all.."

"And yet here I am.." i say looking at the ground... i hold out my arms above my head.

"Drey as I said, I am not one of the flame. I guess i haven't introduced myself, i am what you call part of the rejected, but we call ourselves the Darkest ones. To where we don't hold the light of the flame, we hold the darkness of it..

He holds out his hands and i watch as black flames emit from them, cold air rushes through the shadows, as i hear the whispers and feel the pain of every loss of the "darkest ones"

"the flame has rejected us same as it has rejected you, not because you lack strength but because you aren't meant to be a guardian, you're meant to be a God.."

He disappears into the shadows as the room lights back up into a blinding light.. I'm thrown out of the cathedral and back into the stadium..

"And just like that Drey is eliminated, please wait for your friends to arrive.."

"I haven't been eliminated..." i say, feeling my anger and sadness rush into my head... blinded by fear and darkness i become surrounded in a vail of black flames not emitting heat yet, cold..

I feel the heat rush through my veins and i start yelling from the pain..the flames become bigger until the entire stadium is filled with darkness.

"You all cower at the power of the flame, wanting so badly become part of it you never realize who you truly are.. are you meant to be a guardian or a GOD!"

Everyone starts running away, however the darkness consumes them causing them to turn. Their eyes purple in color, black flames surround their bodies, and their appearance becomes dark, a deep black, almost like a shadow.

The stadium begins to shake as Rickey and Fernando jump out of their portals surrounded in bright white flames.. I look at them and begin to get angry. The urge to kill them overwhelms me, and I attack.