Chapter 23

Moonpaw could barely hide her excitement.

After all this time, after weeks of wishing for the moment to come, never really hoping or longing, she was finally seeing the Moonpool.

It had been a half-moon since her sister had attended her first gathering. Moonpaw had yet to see a cat from another Clan, so the medicine cats would be the first outsiders to her life. She could hardly believe that they even existed; she'd only heard stories from the elders, her mother and her sister, and they all seemed to enjoy exaggerating things.

"Moonpaw! Hurry up! If we don't leave now, we will miss moon-high!"

She was shaken out of her thoughts by Silverleaf, who was leading her out of the forest, Whitepool at her side.

With a jolt, she realised that she'd fallen behind somewhat, and she sped up, matching her pace to the older she-cats with slight effort.

The three walked in silence for a while, before Moonpaw worked up the courage to ask Whitepool, "What are the other medicine cats like?"

The white she-cat replied with, "they're all so different. All the Clans actually have two medicine cats as of now, which is great. It means-"

"-that something bad is going to happen," Silverleaf cut in, expression stony. "The Clans have never lived so prosperously in their entire existence. The rogues are no longer a threat- after Goldensun left with Ivyfrost and Breezestorm, they haven't been even scented- and we haven't seen many foxes or badgers. Don't get me started on ShadowClan. They're all awful. Besides, Nightshade survived that battle in the forest. I don't doubt for one moment that she hasn't given up. She's out there, biding her time, waiting for the perfect opportunity to rise. Then, she'll strike."

Moonpaw was about to say that she didn't know about these "rogues" or who Nightshade was when Whitepool interrupted. "Didn't Shade die in that battle with the Dark Forest?"

Silverleaf nodded. "No body was found, but the rogues claimed that their leader was dead. They didn't seem to be lying."

Moonpaw's head was spinning. Suddenly she couldn't take it. "What rogues? Who's Shade? Who's Nightshade? Who's Screech?"

Silverleaf's breath caught. "Of course. You weren't told about our recent past, were you? Only the legends from long before. Basically, a few seasons before you were born, there was a fight between a group of Dark Forest warriors and the Clans. Your grandfather, Goldensun, supposedly turned good - he was evil - and convinced rogues formerly against the Clans to fight with them. Their leader, Shade, is dead. The Dark Forest was predominantly led by a cat named Screech. Sunflame killed her, however, and her good-for-nothing daughter has most likely assumed the leader position."

Though Moonpaw was still confused, she nodded. "I think I've gotten the gist of it. But what is the dark forest?"

Before Silverleaf could reply, WindClan territory appeared, and with it, a lean, slightly skinny cat nosing at a clump of purple flowers.

"Beechbark!" Whitepool called, and the cat raised his head.

Moonpaw could see that he was a creamy-brown tom, though one of his paws was a slightly darker brown. He seemed young, though it might have been his size- he was smaller than Whitepool, who herself was on the smaller side. He had a narrow muzzle, and though his green eyes gleamed, it was with warmth rather than anything else.

"Greetings, Whitepool, Silverleaf. You're looking well. And- who's this?"

The tom's tone was friendly, and he seemed to give off an aura of cheerfulness, but Moonpaw was still slightly nervous. "This is Moonpaw," Silverleaf announced. "She's going to be training as a medicine cat from now on."

Beechbark blinked warmly at her. "Welcome to the club," he murmured.

She dipped her head a little awkwardly, sticking to Silverleaf's side as the tom joined Whitepool as they began to make their way up a gentle slope. At the top, Moonpaw could just see the tips of rocks, marking the end of their journey; the Moonpool.

Moonpaw could barely remember to breathe. This was it. This was the moment she'd been anticipating for so long.

"Is Oatwhisker not coming? He wasn't here last time." Moonpaw was awoken from a state of awe by Whitepool, concern threaded through her voice as the asked the WindClan tom.

Genuine worry laced Beechbark's mew as he replied. "No. He's starting to worry me. He keeps saying that he's too old for everything. His chest only gets worse, and I fear for him."

After a murmur of sympathy from Whitepool, the group stopped. With a jolt of surprise, Moonpaw realised that they had already reached the top of the hill.

As soon as her gaze rested upon the scenery, Moonpaw let out a breath of surprise. "Oh..."

The sight before her was so beautiful that Moonpaw thought she might faint.

~

Who is your least favourite character so far?