My Letter to the Moon

Synopsis: Chaeyoung has a habit of throwing paper planes, hoping the moon will read the letters inside.

--- • --- • --- • ---

It's usually like this. Just me sitting on my roof wondering why in the world in still here. The stars glimmer in the night sky and orphanage beneath me is in a sweet slumber. I'm writing a letter, it's for the moon.

Dear Moon,

Today was just the usual. Someone I knew got adopted and like most people who come here, they simply gave the rest of us a look of undeniable pity. I still wonder to this day why my parents gave me up. I wonder why I'm still stuck here. I can't wait to leave, I mean of course my closest friends are here, but we all want to escape. Together...

                                  From, Chaeyoung

I fold the paper into a plane and send it away, for some reason all my letters take the same path and I always wonder where they go. Sometimes I think the moon might actually be receiving them and it just doesn't know how to reply. Maybe someone finds them and just disregards them and throws them away.

I smiled at the thought that someone might actually find them though. I mean maybe I actually was talking to someone but... no one could know.

I continued my regular letter sending for weeks until I decided that if someone was reading them I'd make them come find me.

Dear Moon,

Come find me will you? Rose Orphanage is where I am. Of course, if you don't want to find me then... I understand. I really hope you do. It's gotten lonely, especially since Mina Unnie and Dahyun Unnie her adopted last week, and Tzuyu today. I'm losing the people I was closest too and something tells me that Nayeon Unnie is gonna go too. Come find me... And please want me.

                                  From, Chaeyoung

I waited... and waited.... and waited... Months went by and no one came for me. I had lost everyone too. Even Jihyo Unnie left after three days of trying to convince her new parents to adopt me too. Eventually, years passed and I was 17. No one from my childhood had stayed with me. In fact, I'm the oldest now and one more year here and the orphanage has to kick me out because I'll be too old.

I managed to stay in contact with seven of my childhood friends and we hang out sometimes, but then their parents come and pick them up. It hurts sometimes to see Momo Unnie and Sana Unnie go like siblings, because well... By adoption they are. I don't have anyone anymore.

I started getting angry at the moon a while ago and sent one final message.

Dear Moon,

I might get to meet you soon, for... I'm not gonna live anymore. I've decided that tomorrow I'm going to disappear and hopefully I'll be reborn as a crater on your pale surface. I really do hope that my friends forget about me fast, but they will, they've got family to comfort them. This is my last letter to you. Goodbye, Moon... I tried.

                                           From, Chaeyoung

I sent it flying and watched as it disappeared from sight. I shed just a tear, wiped it away then slid back into the orphanage.

"Noona, what were you doing?" A small boy named Changbin asked.

"Sending a letter to the moon." I said, smiling a little at him.