A Backslider's Story

A/N: A fit of inspiration got me into writing this. And when the Spirit gives you that kind of surge, you have no choice but to obey.

.

.

A BACKSLIDER'S STORY

.

My name is Joseph McAllister. You may call me a freak, but I'm a real seer. I see things beyond what normal eyes could see.

It all started several years ago, when I decided to leave my ugly past behind and surrendered my life to God. I was a bum way back then, and my life was crumbling down. I found religion as an excuse for not killing myself. But I didn't expect that religion, or I would say faith, would offer more.

"Repeat after my prayer, brother," the pastor told me during the altar call and I was the first to come in front. "Dear God, I know I am a sinner. I have done awful things against you and against your will..."

And so I did. With all my heart, I voiced that salvation prayer harder than how the pastor did, echoing the angst of bitterness in my spirit, yearning to be free.

And as I closed my eyes to the laying of hands on my head, I thought something inside me was instantly changed. It was more than just a conscience purge or a refreshing sensation. It was more like an huge surge of energy that caused a power up from my insides.

When I opened my eyes, a reality beyond mortality and the natural law exploded right before me. I saw spirits all around me. I saw the soul of every people in that church in different colors. I saw their sins, I saw their weaknesses, and I saw their strengths. I saw angels in midair fighting demons in a fierce battle, with the angels winning at the most. And I realized what these battles were all about. They were fighting for souls, including mine.

And then I saw a dozen angels surrounding me, like a squad of escort guards for a special VIP. Outside the cordon, I saw demons eyeing me as a price, but were afraid to come close.

"Come," one of Angels told me, and he offered his hand.

Gladly, I took hold of that spiritual hand.

Everything changed after that.

.

Weeks later I was serving God with the zeal of a thousand angels. I was talking about God to any people that I would meet. I was speaking in church whenever the elders would allow me. I was praying for people, laying hands on them, and I was seeing miracles happen right before my eyes.

What made these more interesting was that I was seeing all these things within the spiritual angle. I was seeing light forming and flowing as I prayed. I was seeing angels being dispatched at my request. And I was seeing demons screeming out of people that I laid my hands on.

It was grand.

"Thank you, Brother Joe," an old lady who was previously suffering from a bad case of gout told me once after I prayed for her. The gout was instantly and miraculously gone.

"Don't thank me," I told her. "Thank God. It was Him all along."

Or so, that was my usual line. I had prayed for many people with illnesses, heart disease, kidney disease, leukemia--you name it--they were all healed. Thanks be to God.

But my line changed after more and more miracles happened. Pride started kicking in, the usual trait of selfish humanity.

"Thank you, Brother Joe. You're a blessing," someone would say.

"You're welcome," I would reply, accepting the thanks for myself.

"You're an angel, Brother Joe."