Chapter 1- The Beginning

I sat there, watching the pink leaves  encase me at the base of the cherry blossom tree, like a pink water fall, or a curtain being draped around my body. It gave me warmth and told me everything was okay, and that I was going to be fine. I felt secure, until my thoughts were interrupted by someone calling my name, like I was suddenly thrown in cold water, jolting me out of my trance. “Iris!” the small, feminine voice called. “Dinner is ready. Ms Jones ordered I come get you immediately. I don't think she's too happy with you.” Rebecca was a couple years younger than me. At the tender age of 12 she had hope of being adopted. Whilst I, on the other hand, was turning 18 in a few, short months. I would be put into a halfway house and taught how to live on my own until I was sent away to survive by myself. I was still happy to finally get out of this place again, even if it meant having to be on my own. I had been sent back from two different foster homes now, both times for my neediness. I was taken in by a couple who couldn't have children at the age of 8 the first time, though they didn't understand the needs of an 8 year old who has never had a real home, and sent me back in less than a month. The second time was when I was 13, and it was a couple who already had a kid but, in there words to Ms Jones, ‘wanted to do something good for at least one unhappy kid in the world'. Although they had the best intentions, after a week they seemed to have forgotten about me, like I was the new pet goldfish, and went back to their real son. He always tried to include me, but they didn't know how to have two children. Eventually, Chris, their son, pointed it out and I was sent back once again. I got lost in memories until Rebecca shouted my name, throwing me back into reality. “Yeah okay, I'll come in for dinner now.” Rebecca just smiled back at me, taking my hand in her much smaller one, and leading me into the house. I looked at the sign as we passed it, heading to the door. It was a dark blue plaque with slight rust on the edges, stuck to a brick with the words ‘Jessica Jones' home for orphan girls’, etched in gold-painted cursive. My parents died in a car accident when I was 6, on their way to pick me up from school. I couldn't stay with any grandparents as my mother's were both deceased, and my father's were on an archaeology exhibition in Africa. The only person I could stay with was my dad's only brother, but he was declared unfit as he was an alcoholic. So this was where I ended up for the next 12 years of my life.
Rebecca and I entered the house to the sound of young girls chattering amongst themselves, and forks and knives banging against glass plates. Rebecca rushed off to ait with her friends and joined in on the conversation, whilst I quickly headed to the kitchen to help Ms Jones. She didn't even look at me when I opened the door, continuing her serving up on the Spaghetti Bolognese, she just spoke in a reprimanding tone. “You're extremely late, there's almost nothing left to do.” I instantly felt a pang of guilt. She is nearly 60, and I leave her to do this all herself. “I'm sorry Ms Jones, here, let me do the cheese.” I offer, as I grab the block out of the fridge. We finish preparing the dishes, and call in the girls. All 24 of them nearly kill each other trying to get to the food, while just smile fondly at them all from the sidelines. That night, I sit on the windowsill of my second floor bedroom, listening to the faint snores coming from the room through the door on my right. Other than Ms Jones, I was the only one with my own room. There were 12 girls in each, their ages ranging from 6, to 14. I look up at the stars, wishing, that even for a moment, I could have more than this dreary, lonesome life. Just then, I see the shadow of a man, pass over the moon. All of a sudden, the shadow crashes throw my open window, grabs my wrist, and flies away towards the sky. I start kicking my legs, but soon realise this must be a dream and just let it take it's course. There was no doubt in my mind that I must have fallen asleep on the windowsill as 1. Shadows cannot detach themselves from people and 2. There was no reason for it to randomly target me. Suddenly, we reach a rather large white sphere, that I could've sworn was just a star, with a black, swirling circle in the centre. The shadow throws me into the black circle, ignoring my screams of terror as I realised this wasn't a dream. My screams ended abruptly as I land in freezing cold water. I struggle against the current, knocking me under each time I got above. I thought I saw an arm reaching out towards me, but I couldn’t see clearly as my vision had black spots surrounded it, until eventually I blacked out.

_______________________________________
Word count: 924 (story only)
Hi y'all! Thanks for reading this, I hope you have enjoyed and I look forward to continuingthis journey with you. Be aware, this story does not follow the series at all, it just uses a few characters, which aren't mine, thankssss xx