Not So Long Stories

On the other side

 Jane and her family were excited as they were moving into their new house. As they were arriving to their new house, their new neighbors came and welcomed them warmly into their neighborhood. The new neighbors helped Jane and her family moved the furnitures into the house. As they were busy moving the furniture, Jane was looking around the house and discovered a door that says, “Warning! Do not enter.” Mrs. Pool, one of the neighbors, happen to see Jane in front of the door. “Do not enter this door.” Mrs. Pool advised. “Many people have gone after going through this door.” Jane nodded at Mrs. Pool and stood there dumbfounded.

  After dinner, Jane brushed her teeth, said her prayers then lay on her bed to sleep. However, Mrs. Pool’s words kept ringing in her mind. “Many people have gone after going through the door.” Full of curiosity, Jane waited for her parents to be fast asleep and slowly crept to the door.

   As she inched her way to the door, she thought of Mrs. Pool’s words again. “Many people have gone missing after going through the door.” In the darkness, Jane stared the door with the warning sign. She reached to the door knob, twisted it and click! The door was open.

   A sudden rush of wing surrounded Jane as she entered the room. Jane was afraid but curious. As she walked into the dark room, there were many whispers and murmurs. Jane called out for a response. However, there was none. As Jane kept walking, she saw a small dim light ahead. Jane’s footsteps quickened as she was excited. As the light became bigger and brighter, Jane emerged to the other side.

   As Jane looked around, she saw a room filled with many porcelain dolls with big eyes dressed in cute frilly clothes. One of the dolls saw her. With a big smile, she warmly welcomed Jane into the room. “Welcome!” she said, “I am Grace, the doll who is in charge and settles every problem we have in here. We are friends and we warmly welcome you into our doll house.” Jane smiled at Grace and followed her into the tea room.

Jane was having a blast in the doll house. Everything was magical in there. Jane attended many parties and gatherings held at the doll house, went shopping and also had dress up parties.

  One day, Jane was tired of all the parties and shopping. She decided to go home. As she opened the door that led to her house, she was horrified to see that it was being blocked by a wall of bricks. Jane decided to ask Grace to help her.

  As Jane approached Grace, Grace was furious. “You can never go back! You are going to be one of us!”

  Horrified, Jane ran out of the doll house and cried. She missed her father and mother. If only she had listened to Mrs. Pool. Jane decided that she needed to find a way to get out of this horrible place. Jane headed back to the doll house. As she opened the door, she found Grace reading by the fireplace. All the dolls went missing. “So, you decided to come back?” Grace questioned Jane. “What do I have to do in order to get out of here?” Jane replied. Grace thought for a while. “Sew fifty sets of dresses in order to get out of here.” Grace said quietly. Jane smiled. “That’s easy. Fifty dresses and I am out of here.”

  Jane immediately started work. As she made each dress, she thought that it was one step closer to home. However, as Jane was about to complete her last dress, she smelled a smoky smell coming from the door. As she stared at the door, Jane saw a small flickering light towards her. A fire broke out.

  Jane immediately went to the bathroom and got a pail of water to put out the fire. Jane tried to save her dresses. However, it was of no use. The flames slowly inched their way towards the dresses and slowly engulfed the dresses. An idea then struck Jane’s head. Jane broke a long stick from the spinning wheel. She touched the wooden stick against the fire and the stick immediately was lighted.

  With the wooden stick. Jane climbed out if the window, headed towards the door that led to her house and set it on fire and set it ablaze. Jane watched from a distance as the wall slowly crumble and soon, darkness stood before her.

  Jane entered the room and immediately slammed the door shut from the other side. Whispers and murmurs could be heard and the energy of the wind was stronger. It was as if Grace’s anger was channeled through the energy of the wind.

 Jane then was at the door to her home. She immediately opened it and slammed it shut. It was already morning. Her parents were not awake from their slumber. Jane quietly headed back to her room and lived life the same as if nothing happened on the other side of the door.

Author's Note:

Hey guys! This is the first story ever published online. Anyways, this is an essay I did for my English exam. This short story was inspired by Neil Gaimen's Coraline. Not So Long Stories are short stories (obviously) because I am not very good at writing long stories with many many chapters. Anyways, I hope to write more short stories in the future but updates are going to be irregular.

Debs <3

All Rights Reserved

Copyright © 2014