o3 | metamorphosis

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Song: o6) If I'm James Dean, then you're Audrey Hepburn (Acoustic Version)- Sleeping with Sirens

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

le changement est inévitable

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

THE CLASSROOM felt empty without Hyun-Mi around. It's the third day of exam week and she still hasn't shown up.

Without her best friend, Zhèng Do-Hee felt vulnerable. She felt as if she were an outcast with all the other students around her. The two of them were the most popular and most feared students of all.

Their presence always only meant trouble for the fellow students around them. If you make one wrong move, you're dead meat.

But unlike the typical mean girls that you see in movies, they weren't bratty nor were they only in school for the boys. They actually wanted to graduate with a high GPA.

Do-Hee looked around, bummed to see the empty desk of her best friend. For three days, she's had to survive and keep a cool facade to cover up her anxiety of being alone.

The bell rings, making her let a deep breath out, closing her eyes to calm herself down. Many thoughts went surging through her mind as anxiety tried to take over her entirety.

"It's okay, Do-Hee. It's just another day without her. I'll just visit her later to make sure she still has plans of going to school"

When she was in China with her father, the attention was never on her because she was the same with everyone else that was surrounding her.

But now that she's in Korea as a Chinese, all the attention suddenly turns to her direction and she was never used of that. She liked being in solitude.

Walking out of the classroom, she makes her way to her locker which was next to the room of Class B-11.

Every other student instantly made way for her which made her even more nervous. With trembling fingers, she opens her locker door.

"Do-Hee!"

She turns to her left, eyebrows furrowed as she heard someone shout her name. All the other students freezes in their positions, each one letting a gasp escape.

"Who was that?" Her raspy but feminine voice scared everyone in the hallway, making them all turn to the one who dared disrespect their boss. "Whoever that was, come here."

She could see someone struggling in the crowd, trying to come and reach her. She also saw her friend attempting to pull her away. "Let go, Areum. She knows me."

What the girl said piqued her interest, making her raise her eyebrows. She was intrigued to hear that she knows the one who disrespected her.

"Let her go." She said with authority and the girl named Areum instinctively let go of her friend's wrist, heart pounding because of the secondhand anxiety.

The girl ran towards Do-Hee with arms spread open. She attacked her with a tight hug which made everyone around them be even more concerned for the girl because they know the Do-Hee was not a person of hugging.

For some reason, Do-Hee couldn't act tough when she saw a glance of the girl's face.

"Pan Gyuri"

When the girl pulled away, her heart skipped a beat. She was right. It was Gyuri but she changed. A lot.

"Do-Hee, did you miss me?" The smile on the girl's face was extremely genuine, very hard to fake. The longing in her eyes were crystal clear as she looked at her best friend ever since she was in 3rd grade.

Do-Hee stared intently into Gyuri's eyes, straight into the eyes of her first love, the first person to make her feel butterflies inside her stomach.

There was pain inside her chest, aching as she saw how much her friend has changed over the span of several years apart. Aching about how she could never confess how she felt because of traditional stereotypes.

Aching because she still had feelings for her despite not having any connection for years after they got separated when her family moved to Korea just because her parents wanted to.

She felt her knees getting weak and she was about to fall onto the floor until she felt a thin pair of arms hold grip onto hers, making her snap back into reality.

Shaking her head, she tries to keep her composure in front of her long gone best friend. "Gyuri"

The girl shakes her head with a smile still plastered on her face, she replies with her soft and high pitched voice, "It's Kyung-Ja now. My parents got it legally changed since they wanted me to have a fresh start in Korea."

She pulled Kyung-Ja closer for an embrace, trying her best to hold back her tears and sobs. "I missed you so much, unnie."

The older girl could only smile as she was being tightly squeezed by her emotional friend. "I missed you too, baby girl."

They both pulled away with smiles on each of their faces. Every student was in incredulity to witness the female that has always been tough and strong in her most vulnerable state.

Her strong, cold facade has been broken.

"Unnie! I love you!"

"I love you too, baby girl!"

━━━━━━━━━━━━━

I will try my best to keep up this facade just to make you feel safer

It Was Him © 2018 by Mimi