MAYBE

• Dedicated kay Chiara Ibe

I was very sure he took it.

No one else would be attracted to an antique gold chain. I mean, the gold's dull and I have nothing on it. It was just so plain. Many thought that my chain was a fake. It wasn't. It was pure gold and my grandma passed it to my mom and then passed it to me.

At first look, that chain was ugly. But I've come to like it. The chain became my favorite accessory. I wore it with almost anything. The chain could be elegant at some occasions and spunky on the next. But for me, it was a family heirloom.

And now, it was missing.

I remember I wore it before coming to school and was still wearing it when we arrived. I only placed it on my bag before we got down. The last person who saw me remove it was Jacob Matthews.

Jacob Matthews.

Just thinking about him made my blood boil. I hate him and many people, especially girls, loathe me for hating him. Though I hate to admit that he made me fall for him once, I couldn't help but blush whenever he looks at me after he torments me. And then, there's this contented look about his face.

I first saw Jacob when my family moved to our current neighborhood. I was moving my box of things when I saw him. He was squinting at me and then, he laughed when I tripped. The following day, the first day I went to school, the school knew what happened before they knew my name. My first day sucked.

Even before I got over what happened, I realized that most of my classes were similar to his. And what's worse, the teachers paired me with him in all activities. I tried telling my parents about how I hate the neighborhood and the school, but my whining was just nothing. This was our new place and I'll be stuck here forever.

As we all know, for every downside, there will always be an upside. Scott Davidson was my upside. He turned everything around when he sat with me one lunch time. He told me he was happy to help me with all of the work in school. Scott was an athlete in school and his status as such made him a hero. And ever since he sat with me that faithful day, I was practically 'untouchable'. If someone tried to torment me, he would come and rescue me. Like a fairytale. He was the hero and I was the damsel in distress.

But of course, in every story there will always be a villain. And the only villain I could think of was Jacob. Like Scott, Jacob was an athlete. He was the goalkeeper and Scott was only a midfielder. In a hierarchy sort of way, Scott was like a prince and Jacob was the king. Still, Scott was my favorite player.

Sigh.

As I was saying, my gold chain was lost. I came with the group still, though my first priority was my chain. Scott obliged to come and help me but I told him not to.

"C'mon, Lex, I know you need me." he'd said.

I would've stuck out my tongue at him like a five-year-old but I knew he had a point. Two heads are better than one anyway. So, I had him come with me. We searched the places we've been through and then parted when we searched the other places. The class was scattered and I took the liberty of searching while I still got the time.

I snaked through the Botanical Garden's pathways. They were damp and mossy but I didn't care. All I wanted was to find the idiot Jacob and ask him about my chain.

I heard some footsteps behind me. I turned back, expecting to see Scott with a triumphant smile on his face and a gold chain dangling from his fingers. But when I did, there was no triumphant smile, no gold chain and most certainly, no Scott.

There, before me, in all his glory, was Jacob.

And he wasn't holding any gold chain either.

My blood boiled at the sight of him and I swore I saw steam come out of my ears. I marched towards him, each step filled with anger. My hands were firmly kept beside me, both balled into fists.