{1}

"How was it?" Quincy Lujan asked his daughter, the same question he asked her every other Monday morning. Asked so many times the entire conversation lost it's entire meaning. It was a polite question that lacks any sincerity or actual care. Smiling at a stranger polite, you do it with good intentions. Makes you feel warm inside and if it brightens their day then so be it. A selfish type of politeness. Allows you to feel better about yourself rather than having care for them or their answer.

That's why Ashtyn always responded in the same way. A deep sigh and shake of her head. She'd glanced out the window with tired eyes and watch the trees pass as her father drove back to La Push.

No, today wasn't any different from the hundred other Monday mornings that Ashtyn had experienced since her parents got a divorce.

"Love you," Quincy said, like he did every time, as they pulled up to La Push Reservation High School. Ashtyn leaned over and pecked his cheek before grabbing her nap sack and leaping out of the black pick up truck.

"You too," she smiled before pushing the door shut and trekking towards her locker.

"Hey Ash!" The teenager didn't even have turn from her locker to see who it was. The excitement and childish voice gave him away.

"Yes, Seth?" Uninterested, unfocused. Ashtyn was much more intrigued by the order of her ratty old textbooks and misplacement of her pencil bag then what the freshman had to say.

"Jake and Paul and Jared and I are going down to First Beach," her body shifted around and finally faced him. Black hair was standing tall, but not as tall as its human actually stood. She had watched Seth go, almost over night, from 5'6 to 6'6. It depressed her that she had to look up at a boy who was three year younger than her. But she learned to accept the height change and hyperactivity with open arms. All of the boys in Sam's gang of misfits were tall and big. Steroid big and medieval torture stretcher tall. "Just skip with us okay? You don't have to keep that stick up your ass all the time."

"First period," Ashtyn clicked her tongue in disapproval but she knew it was no use. By even turning around she had agreed to it. "Fine, but I'm driving. I'm not dying at 17 because of a car accident."