Advanced Materials for Interior Design and Architecture Part 1

The market presently is full of innovative materials which and enhance the Interior and Architectural design. These materials carry special characteristics and a different approach to the rational concept of design and materials. Although most of the materials are expensive but the advantage they offer is very good. Let us see some materials along with their properties and uses.

Translucent Concrete

Translucent concrete is a material with light transmission. This is because to optical fibers are embedded in it. The optical fiber is made to go through the complete object we get light patterns on the other surface. Translucent concrete combines the strength of concrete with the properly making light pass through it. You can use is to enhance your interiors or you can make the whole building lighted, more so in countries where direct sunlight is not present for the whole day. This concrete is a revolutionary material.

Sensing tile is material which lights up when we walk on it. There are several manufacturers of these heat sensitive tiles which are concrete embedded with optical fibers and can respond to shadow and heat of the human body, the light sensors in them make the tiles glow. For example in the night you need to go to the refrigerator, the sensing tile will light up your path sensing your shadow. They can be used on your ceiling so that the lights go on when you are walking on a path. These tiles have numerous functions and many companies manufacturing them. These tiles can be used in Interiors and an interior can become fantastic with them. In the market tiles and there are innumerable choices. Interior designer must use them only in certain areas.  

Rich Lite is made with 70 % recycled paper. The counter tops are made by treating paper with a resin, and then baking it to create solid sheets. Rich Lite was first used in the aerospace, boating, and sports industries as reinforcement for surfaces like fiberglass, but now is available for architectural purposes as well. It is stronger than wood or any material. It comes in many finishes.

Lakhotia institute of Design

Abids and Banjarahills

Hyderabad