Ken

Kate's POV

For the rest of that day, Emaline and I went through boxes of stuff in my room that I hadn't unpacked since we moved uptown 5 years ago. There was a bottle of perfume belonging to my mother. It was very old and had not much of a smell left but I sprayed a bit anyway. It actually smelled quite nice. The bottle was in the shape of a heart that said, Kate Messner, 23.04.81. She always had my name and date of birth engraved in stuff. She really loved me, I could tell, but she let the demons plaguing her mind take over and made her do the wrong thing. I cried, remembering that I'm now orphaned. When I go back to school when my depression is gone, they'll be talking about Kate the Dyke with no parents and who dossed months of school to sleep with her girlfriend. That's what they say about me at school. They say that all me and Emaline do is have sex and that's not the case. We're more of romantics than sex maniacs. We've only done it twice despite us dating for months. Emaline's very gentle with me and wouldn't do anything to make me uncomfortable. Her hugs are the best thing ever and if I were to kiss heaven, it'd be like kissing Emaline because her kisses are heaven for me. I remember the day we had our first kiss. Dancing to Duran Duran on the stage after the premiere of Intergalactic Lust and anyone could've walked in. I feel as though someone did, but I'm not sure who. The whole school knows we're dating, and despite getting homophobic slurs thrown at us every day, nothing tears us apart. This girl is the reason I'm still alive, the reason I didn't cut, the reason I didn't take those paracetamol, the reason I didn't kill myself. I was about to, but then I remembered that Emaline was beside me in the bed and I couldn't leave her. I still want to, but I'm pretty sure I won't. If I do, the Messner family will die out and I don't want to end my family.
Emaline and I were looking at my baby pictures when I heard scratching at the door. It was the puppy Luke had given me. The Labrador puppy looked very skinny and dehydrated, and I felt so guilty. With everything going on in my head, I forgot to feed him. I immediately ran downstairs and got him the remains of a roast from days ago and filled a bowl up to the brim with water and gave it to him. I realised I never named him. "Ken" I said out loud. Ken was the name of the dog, in memory of my father. Emaline said she'd run down to the shop for dog food. While she was gone, I played for a bit with him. He was adorable and yellow, and really affectionate. He licked at my hands and got up to my face at one stage. I laughed as he climbed on top of me and placed his paw on my forehead in a defensive manner. He then proceeded to lick my face over and over and I kept laughing. I can't believe I forgot about him. I love him to pieces. Not as much as Emaline though. She came back 45 minutes later. She laughed and said, "Are you cheating on me with the dog?" I laughed, saying, "No, he's a boy. I don't like guys." She chuckled, "Of course. I got the food and some treats and a little collar. I hope to God it fits because I was waiting 20 minutes for it." She handed me a rainbow collar with a name tag that had a name engraved into it:

Ken Messner-Addario

I was in love with it. I carefully lifted Ken off of me and went over to Emaline and kissed her. "I love it" I whispered into her ear as I hugged her. I feel as though my depression is going away. I'm obviously devastated about my dad and Luke moving away, but I'm happy that I have Emaline and we've kinda introduced Ken into the family. I bent down and put the collar on him, picked him up like a baby, went beside Emaline and she said, "Welcome to the family, Ken Messner-Addario, our first child." Emaline smiled and hugged me and our "son". We tried to kiss but Ken flicked his tongue up between our lips. We burst out laughing at his huge personality.  For a dog that hadn't eaten in 3 weeks he was very lively. Emaline walked over to the bag and picked out a blue bowl with his full name on it and filled it with food. Ken jumped from my arms and dug in. Emaline then pulled out a chain leash with a yellow handle, the same colour as his fur. "I'm getting him a T-shirt tomorrow" she said. I had to laugh. I was picturing him in a T-shirt and it looked so funny. "You'll have the dog spoiled before he's house trained!" I exclaimed jokingly. Emaline chuckled her cute little chuckle. I love being with her. I forget all that's wrong and bad with her. My uncle called saying that he had the funeral for Dad organised for 2 days afterwards. When Luke and Sherry were supposed to be leaving. They hadn't called to us about dad at all and we left a message explaining. They never called back. They must be busy packing. Can't wait for Sherry to leave, I'll miss Luke. I miss my dad hugely already, but I have Emaline and Ken Messner-Addario so I shall not be lonely.