Bad Things Happen To Good People

• Dedicated to Lauren

Prologue- June 5th

Here I am, sitting alone in the dark. I guess you could say that’s the summary of my afternoon. I glance at the clock. It reads 6:00. Three hours I have sat here. 

Figures...I can’t believe this is the third night in a row that I have just sat here; wallowing in my own self pity. My life is pitiful. 

I hear a buzzing sound beside me and I look down. 

Jacob

A smile forms on my lips as I pick up my phone and answer the call. 

“Well hello, my twin dork.”

“Just so we’re clear, I am NOT a dork.” he replied with a small chuckle. 

“Ok, ok. Whatever you say young grasshopper.” I laugh out loud. He hates it when I call him that.

“Ugh...what am I gonna do with you?” by this time he’s laughing just as hard as I am. We never know why we start laughing; we just do. I guess it’s just how our relationship is. We joke around with eachother and then all of a sudden we both erupt with laughter. 

Once I slow my breathing enough to calm myself down, I reply, ignoring his previous question. 

“So what’s up?”

“Well...my parents are out of town for tonight and won’t be back ‘til morning, so I was just calling my bestie to see if she wanted to come over and hang out with me. I’d really appreciate some company.”

“Hmm...but I’m already having so much fun over here.” dramatically looking around at my dusty, dark room. “I can come over. It sounds like fun. But know this: if anyone else had asked me to come over to their house while they we’re about to die from boredom, I wouldn’t have accepted. However, because it was you and I love you so very much, I will come.” 

He laughs at me, like usual. “Ok, great! See ya in a bit!” 

I hang up the phone and excitedly sprint to my mother’s room. 

“Hey mom? Will you drive me to Jacob’s? He invited me over to hang out.” 

“Yeah, honey. Just let me get my keys and I’ll be out. Why don’t you go get in the car and I’ll be right there.” 

This is why I love my mother; she trusts me and she never asks questions. Any other mother in the world would be asking me questions like “Who else is going to be there?” or “Are his parents home?” Fortunately, she’s met Jacob before and she trusts him and I both that we won’t do anything reckless or, you know...

I almost run smack into a wall while sprinting to the car waiting in the driveway. I get to the car, only to find out that she locked the doors and I will have to wait until she comes out of the house with the keys. So, I do what any other human would do, I leaned up against the car and waited patiently for my mother. She finally came out and unlocked the car. Looking at the clock on the dash, I discoverd it had only been waiting 3 minutes. It felt like 20.