Cht. 1

Carter's P.O.V.

There were a lot of things I kept to myself. Including my life at home. I didn't have any friends and I didn't want any either. Its not that I had people throwing themselves at me left and right but I could tell there were some girls who looked out for me. And I thanked them for that. But we were never really friends. None of them ever came and talked to me and I never talked to them. It's the way my life is.

My life at home wasn't exactly a walk in the park, and it definetly wasn't what anyone else would like to hear. My mom died when I was 10. What the worst part about it was, was that my dad never forgave himself for it. It wasn't his fault. At all. She was in a car accident. He'd been on a business trip at the time so I was at home for about three days, crying myself to sleep every night and going through this traumatizing event alone until my dad was able to board a plane home.

He was doing fine with his job, paying our dues well after we moved to a smaller house. The only thing wrong with him was the depression. I had gotten over it as much as I could and tried to see the light in the situation but my dad had a hard time of letting go. He was a mess. I learned to completely take care of myself on my own. I cooked meals for my dad and I everyday. I got myself up on the first day of school. I did all the things normal families would do even with only one parent, by myself.

I learned to get over that fact. It became my life and I knew I couldn't change it. My dad really took a turn for the worst about two years ago. He became obsessed with alcohol. We lost so much money due to his drinking problem and by the time he started, I was 16. He had about 10 grand hidden away for his beer and wine and left me to get a job and provide for the two of us. And I could do it. I had a part time job at a local resteraunt that paid well.

Now, I have been able to save some of that money and pay for an upgrade in one thing I wanted; a phone. They recently came out with the iPhone 5 and I wanted it. So, taking the about $300 I had and about $1000 I stole from my dad, I went and bought it. Along with some itunes and a few phone cases and anything extra like headphones and a charger. That was the only thing I had that I didn't actually need.

One night, around a month after I'd turned 18, my father walked into my bedroom. I waited for the smell of his body odor and his breath so filled with alcohol that I felt like I was intoxicated as well, but it never came. My dad, for once in a long time, was sober. What he said though, would've sounded better if he was drunk.

I looked up from my school work I had been issued that April, about a month from graduation, and saw him standing in the doorway. I moved it aside and motioned for him to come in.

"Hey dad." I said. My tone was confused, like my mind at that moment. But he didn't seem to take notice.

"Hello Carter." he said "Is everything going alright? School, work, everything?" he pushed.

I was sort of in shock. It had been a good month since either of us had said a word to each other. And if anything, there was a rush of insecurity that waved through me. I flinched, on instinct. My hands tensed up and my breaths shortened.

"Y-yeah. Everythings' fine, dad." I said shyly, looking down.

"I'm glad to hear that. But you've got a week to get out." he said, and what terrified me most about the words that came out of his mouth, was the fact that the emotions he showed hadn't changed since he entered my room.

He had a slight smile on his face and there was a small twinkle in his eyes. His voice was bright and perky and I was so scared just by that small detail that I couldn't speak.