Chapter 1

"Steph! I can't believe that you landed yourself a jock, holy shit!" Gloria, my best friend, shouts in the middle of the hallway.

"Gloria, shut up! Not everyone needs to know all the details!" I whisper back.

"Sleep over, my house, tonight. We have many things to discuss," she gives me a smirk and a wink before walking away.

"So, I hear that you're taken, details please!" Henry, one of my guy best friends, demands. Mind you, his last class is all the way on the other end of the school.

I suppose I should explain what's going on and how all of this happened.

See, I've had a crush on this guy, Adam Parker, for about a year and a half now, but we've been best friends since seventh grade. We were in AP biology and AP English together last year, and we sat next to each other in both classes, but he didn't like me back. This year, we have AP chemistry and pre calculus together, and we sit next to each other in both classes again. The thing about Adam is he is known as a major jock since he plays basketball, football, and baseball. He is the most popular guy in school and all the teachers love him because he's academically, musically, artistically, and sports relatedly gifted. He manages to keep a 4.0 average while continuing with his sports and music career on top of helping his family financially while his older brother is in college. He has already been offered a full scholarship to four different colleges, including Ohio State and Miami. He has turned down almost every girl in the school, everyone except me. I'm Stephanie Patter, an academically gifted, seventeen year old girl who is involved in all of the clubs for raising awareness. I don't play sports, I can't sing or play an instrument to save my life, and I can barely draw a stick figure without messing it up. For whatever reason, Adam picked me, out of all the cheerleaders and dancers and gymnasts there are in this school, he picked me. I'm a nobody, well, at least I was a nobody. I mean, we've been best friends since forever, but I don't know why he's dating me, of all people.

Now that you know about who we are, how the hell did this happen?

We are in pre calculus fifth period before we can leave for early release. At Stationary High, juniors can leave after fifth period if they have high enough grades. We can also drive to and from school, and leave for lunch everyday if we don't have early release.

We had a test in class today and we are always allowed to talk once everyone is done. We all finished within twenty-five minutes and were able to move around and have the rest of the class time to ourselves. Mr. Baker is a really cool teacher and couldn't care less what we did after the days' lesson is over and done, that's why he's my favorite. Adam looked over at me sometime after Mr. Baker announced that the rest of class was ours, but I didn't look back. I didn't know what to do or say, so I just didn't look at him.

"Steph?" he questioned.

"Yeah?" I was forced to look.

"God, your eyes are beautiful."

"Thank you," I felt my cheeks turn bright red.

"Anything for you," he flashed me his award winning smile and the red in my cheeks deepened. "So, I have a favor to ask."

"What's that?"

"I need you to give me a piece of paper."

"Okay," I pull my kitten spiral from my pile of books on the corner of my desk, rip out a piece of paper, and hand it to him. He tears the paper right down the middle and gives me half back. "What's this?"

"It's half of your paper."

"I know that, but why are you giving it to me?"

"Because the paper symbolizes me. I am only half a man without you, and I need you to complete me." I partially heard the rest of our class 'aw' in the background, but I was too focused on Adam. "Will you be my girlfriend?"