Prologue (Edited)

Mekhi Yi

earlier that day

The beeping of my alarm clock and the shuffling of my automatic blinds woke me up. The sunshine barely had time to come in my four-year-old daughter Naila Yi burst into my room with her annual, "Joh-eun achim Appa! (Good morning, Daddy!)"

A smile crossed my features as Naila came over, pulled herself up in my bed, and lay next to me. Her hair was all over her head, and she was wearing her usual toothless smile as she settled next to me.

"Oneul ohue kkwag chassseubnikka? (Are you packed for this afternoon?)" I asked.

She nodded before frowning, "Ne, hajiman bang-geum wass-eoyo! Ajig tteonago sipji anhseubnida. (Yes, but I just got here! I don't want to leave yet.)"

"Eomma lang nalang junbigaiss-eo naneun dangsin-i jumal-eman issseubnida. (Mommy and I have arrangements, baby. I have you at the end of the week only.)" I explained

Naila groaned and buried her head into one of my pillows.

Naila whined and in broken English said, "You change it?"

I sighed.

I knew Naila hated spending the early part of the week and weekends with her mother. I recall the many times Naila said she would rather stay here with Appa, but a court date was not on my agenda within the upcoming months.

"No!" I mimicked her voice and said, "Now, go wash up and be at the table ready for breakfast."

"Ye, Appa. (Yes, Daddy.)" Naila sighed reluctantly.

She slid off the bed and went toward the bathroom. Following her lead, I went to my master bathroom and began to get ready for the day.

-

Naila and I were finishing our breakfast when there was a buzz at the door. It was none other than Milo, Logan, and Axel, the three most trusted men of my mafia.

Axel and I were the same age which made him second in command. Though we were both ruthless, Axel was a bit more ruthless than I am and is ready to defend at any moment's notice. Most of the time, he had trouble reeling it in but with his girlfriend, Alana, alongside him she was able to keep him in check.

Logan was the oldest out of the four of us, being married and known as the "father" of the group. He kept up with every date and detail we needed to keep up with both mafia and business-related. Logan and I were the closest in our group and gave me advice at any time I needed it.

Milo was the youngest out of the four of us, being a fresh dropout of the university. He was majoring in Computer Science at MIT but dropped out after his junior year after becoming bored and coming back to Korea and picking up side jobs before becoming the computer genius of our mafia and third in command.

"Good morning Mekhi and Naila," Logan greeted as the three of them entered my condo.

"Morning, what is on the agenda today?" I asked.

Logan typed something into his phone and said, "We have to be in the States by eleven if we want to catch him in New York before midnight."

Milo could not settle into the house long enough when Naila tried to bound out of her chair toward him. Out of her uncles, Milo was Naila's favorite. Mostly, it was because Milo acted her age most of the time.

"Maillo Samchon! Maillo Samchon! Bwayo, ippal-eul ilh-eo beolyeoss-eoyo (Uncle Milo! Uncle Milo! Look, look! I lost my tooth!)"

"Oye, Naila! Be careful!" I scolded.