Broken friendships

They say that a friendship over 7 years will last a life time. Sadly that isn't the case. I met this girl in kindergarten and she was extremely sweet. We were basically sisters. Inseparable. We always had each other's backs.

Fast forward to middle school, she became stand-off-ish and kept telling me "nobody cares what you have to say," and in all honesty it hurt me, a lot because she was pretty much my sister and it hurt that she was treating me that way. She would always say how she was "joking" I was always excluded from conversations.

We had a small circle of 3 other people and I was someone who liked to branch out and have multiple friends but only a couple very close friends. She didn't like that, she wanted me to only hang out with her and nobody else. We grew apart.

Then in 8th grade we stopped talking all together. We had no classes together which was most likely part of the reason we stopped talking. I began talking to people that I had in my classes and we grew closer as the year passed. I forgot about her all together. Occasionally I would remember a memory or something I saw reminded me of her.

I began to kind of miss talking with her, I missed our bond. I didn't hate her, I never did, I just didn't like how I was being treated and I was confused as to why she treated me that way. I really did genuinely want to reconnect.

It was the last day of 8th grade and we began to talk again. I spoke openly about the situation and I started the conversation. I got the answers I needed. She's in my high school and I'm not going to be as close as I was with her but I'm still friends with her. I'm remaining optimistic but I'm also keeping my distance. Mainly because I don't want to be hurt again.

I felt worthless when I was with her in middle school. Then on the last day, I realized that she changed. Maybe not 100% (that's why I remained a bit skeptical and am keeping my distance) but she has been nicer to me and for that, I'm great full.