13

2 weeks later

mitchel's p.o.v.

"what about this?" i asked angeline, who was sitting cross-legged on my bed, as i held up a yellow floral printed shirt.

"are you trying to look like a tourist?" she asked me, raising her eyebrow.

"well then what do you suggest i wear?" i asked her, crossing my arms in frustration.

"i don't know mitchel, this isn't a fucking fashion show. i'm just going to see my parents. you really don't have to come with if you don't want to." she told me, dropping her phone on the bed next to her with a sigh.

"no i want to come, i'd just appreciate some help." i sighed, hanging the yellow shirt back up into my closet.

"i'm sorry, i'm just feeling really stressed out. i haven't seen my parents in so long and here i am, going to see them after dropping out of college with a guy." she said, giving me an apologetic look. "what about that one white button up you have? that'll be perfect." she suggested.

i began sorting through various shirts hung up in my closet until i found the white button up. i slipped it on and buttoned it up quickly, turning to show angeline. she gave me a quick thumbs up as a sign of her approval.

she had told me a few days ago that she wanted to see her parents again. i remember her telling me that her relationship with her parents wasn't as close as she would have liked it to be and that they could be quite overbearing. i assured her that she was just overreacting and that they were probably fine. she hadn't even told them that she had dropped out of college, so this visit could either go really well or really bad. hopefully it went well.

"should i put the braids in?" i asked her, gesturing towards the loose sections of hair framing my face.

"i kinda want my parents to like you, so no." she laughed.

"makes sense." i shrugged and then pushed the hair out of my face.

"are you done getting ready, pretty boy?" she asked sarcastically.

"yeah, let's go pretty girl." i said, nudging her shoulder playfully. her face tinted a slight shade of pink.

i loved seeing the effect i could have on her. even with the simplest comments she'd have a reaction and it was adorable.

we both walked out to her car which she had just recently purchased and i walked over to the driver's side, causing her to give me a confused look.

"mitchel, what do you think you're doing?" she asked. i looked at her confused.

"going to the driver's side?" i said as a sort of question.

"one, i hope you realize that you have no idea how to get to their house. two, this is my car." she looked at me with a knowing look.

now i got it.

"oh shit, you're right." i hurried back over to the passenger side and she got into the driver's side, starting the car as i buckled my seatbelt.

safety first, kids.

she pulled out of the driveway and then we were off: off to go see her parents. i'd be lying if i told you i wasn't nervous. girls never usually took me to see their parents and although we weren't together i was definitely feeling pressure to stay on my best behavior. i wasn't the most presentable, especially around parents. i was considered a "bad influence".