NOW

A few hours had passed since the sun crept out of the horizon for that magical moment each and every morning of every day where the night gives in to the day as it has done as far as man could remember.

Remember. Funny how that word rings. How wonderful it is that our minds could store events as memories ready to be reviewed anytime they are needed.

To be able to remember. One of the best gifts the Almighty Creator has given man. Oh, how wonderful it would be if it would last for all of us.

. . .

The warm, refreshing scent of freshly brewed coffe and newly baked morning bread is already fading. The streets are becoming noisy. Vehicles have been awakened themselves and are now roaming the city streets. Different faces pass by one after another.

I sit there on the balcony of my favorite fast food restaurant slash coffe house called BITE ME! I've been one of their regular customers since that fateful day I git lost on my very first day as a boarding student. I was lost and hungry then and I just happened to see that big orange sign. I went inside and ordered and got hooked to the place. You know that feeling you get about something that you just get to say to yourself "This ones gotta be mine." That's how I felt about the place. BITE ME! has been my second dining place aside from the one we have in my boarding house.

I've been a regular customer for more than four years now that I practically know every loyal employee of the place. (And they know me well too!) Even the owner himself, Mr. Buenafrancia had a little talk with me one time, shook my hand and thanked me dor patronizing the place. I'be been goong to the place thrice or dour times a week since then. (But I kinda wish they have that loyalty award for customers too. I could use some little freebies once in a while.)

"Back again, I see", says a familiar voice behind me.

I turn and see Anthony, one of the waiters I know well. He's a shorty (I'd say). But he's got that kind expression on his acne covered face. Dark eyes, short nose. Typical sidekick look, if I may say. But with that black/orange uniform on, and those trays on hand, he's the best waiter in the house. And he's got to be the best waiter anyone could ask for. Outside, he looks like a clumsy fellow, but when he's working, it's like some awesome dude possesses him.

"Yeah, well, I can't help it", I reply with a smile.

Anthony looks at his watch and frowns.

"You still have about fifteen minutes. Wanna try our new cheese cake overload? See, it's a cheese lava cake with sweet cheese filling covered with melted cheese. It's like a cheese bomb exploding in your mouth! At least, that's what the ad says."

I grinned at him.

"Nah. I'm good. Thanks", I say raising my cup of hot chocolate.

"Okay then. If you need anything just let us know, okay?", he winks and goes back to the kitchen.

I resumed looking at the now-getting-busy sidewalk. For a straight whole month I've been sitting on the same chair with the same view everyday. At any other times it woul be. . . What do they call it? Monotonous? Yeah, monotonous. But for me, no. It's not one bit monotonous. It's not a waste of time. I won't get tired of doing this even for another month, or year, or century. I'll go to the same fast food restaurant slash coffe house, pick the same table, sit on the same chair, and drink the same hot chocolate every morning. Because since the past month, this was the only way I could see. . .

My heart stops.

My cup of hot chocolate almost slips.

There she is.