009

about two weeks after jaewon had attempted to run away, there was a turnover of the chief doctor on the closed station number seven.

usually min hyunjoo wouldn't meet the chief doctor due to working at night, so she was lowkey surprised when she saw the light still turned on in the office at 1 am.

before she could even turn away to continue working, the door opened and the new chief doctor stepped out with a soft smile. "good thing i stayed here longer, so i could introduce myself to the night shift too. i'm doctor kang sangwoo, nice to meet you."

the tall male stretched out his hand, but hyunjoo hesitated to shake it; he was nothing like she had imagined him. "min hyunjoo." she responded briefly.

"i've heard of you, you're doing great work taking care of the patient jung jaewon." the doctor gave her another smile.

a slight tension began to expand from her neck down her spine. "if you'd call it that, thank you... but how do you know?"

"do you really think i start to work at a new station completly uninformed?"

aware of her mistake the nurse covered her mouth with her hand and apologized, but doctor kang just chuckled.

later, when they both had went back to their work, hyunjoo couldn't help but think that he was unusually friendly for a chief doctor- and unusually handsome.

since jaewon was finally able to lay down at night, he waved at hyunjoo as soon as she entered his room, because he couldn't turn to the other side by himself.

"how do you find sangwoo?" he asked her quietly, like always.

"doctor kang? i don't know." her voice was more of a stutter than a sentence. "he's kind, i guess?"

"yes. he came here and said hello." mumbled jaewon, still confused about the earlier encounter.

"sweet."

"what?"

"nevermind."

so jaewon stayed awake the whole night thinking about the slight sting he had felt over hyunjoo's reply.