Ch. 2 - Madness

Finished. His master piece was finally complete. Dr White stood back and beamed at his work. Every limb and line carved to perfection, with skin of the smoothest kind and 140, 372 hairs on his scalp of the lightest walnut.

The Perfect Son.

Nothing was out of place. Even his eyes seeped brilliance. The Doctor would often gaze into those bright blue pools, giddy like a child waiting for Christmas as his son took shape.

The Doctor took in his work. Radiant. The perfect child, and he was his, sitting in his brand new clothes. All he needed now was a name.

Dr White looked around for inspiration. All these years dreaming of having his own children and he hadn't ever thought of a name. Then something caught his eye. Resting by the open window sat a raven.

"Raven," thought Dr White to himself with a smile, "Yes. I shall call you Raven!" And with that he placed a tender arm around his new creation, caressed him onto his front and with a loving hand painted onto the back of his neck,

                                                                                              *

                                                                       *                                         *

                                                         *                          Raven White                     *

                                                                       *                                          *

                                                                                                *

Raven White. Forever the son of Dr Samuel White. Turning his son back around, he glanced to the window ledge, the raven still inspecting the old man's jubilation. The feathered creature glanced towards the youth, back to it's maker, then ...winked. Samuel flinched slightly as the raven flew from sight. The bird had winked at him, he was sure of it. Shaking the bird out of his mind, Samuel drifted his eyes over every centimeter of his handiwork, not that he didn't know it in more detail than his own.

Samuel sat down after what had felt like a lifetime and sighed to his new son. "Yes," he thought, "now I can be happy..."

Some say that this was the moment, though many think his problems were hell-bound from the start, the moment that Doctor Samuel White went mad. Simply because, winking ravens aside, this boy would never walk alongside his father. Raven may have every biological concept as a normal boy, but nothing rushed through the boy's hollow heart. Inside his head no questions could ever be answered, nor answers questioned.

No matter how much Samuel wished it, Raven would never be real.

The dawning truth cursed his mind. All that effort, for NOTHING! The news deformed the doctor's sight till he could not stand the sight of the monster he had created. What use was a boy who refused to hold his master's hand?!? Raven, if the creature even deserved a name, was useless  as a child, and with that maddening thought, Dr White threw his chair on the stone floor, shattering the seat he once rested on. Not even the most painful of splinters would stop him. He hammered the four legs into a cross and strung his disaster from it, plunging a needle through the wooden skin he had once cared so much for. He stared at the freak of his own creation, now hanging from the ceiling.

A puppet.

Dispising his own imagination, he grabbed the nearest thing to him and flung it at the face of Raven. As Dr White left the room, the black ink he had thrown swam through every strand of the puppet's hair, staining it perminantly. The rest dripped downward, seeping into his clothes and submerging the floor benieth him. However, if Samuel had taken the time to glance back at his monstrosity, he would have noticed the occational droplet rolling up the puppet's face, sinking into the vast oceans his master had once adored, tarnishing them blacker than hell itself. Black as a Raven's wing.

The door slammed shut for the final time with a mightly thud. Locked. Ravens could be heard screaming as far as the next village, and Doctor Samuel White was never seen again.