CHAPTER FIVE | Surfer Boy

© 2012 Angelica Musiqi

"MY BEST FRIEND'S BROTHER"

CHAPTER FIVE | Surfer Boy

I was heading over to Melody's just two days after I last visited. The weather was lovely, so she had invited me over to just hang out, go swimming, and get some tanning done in the burning California sun. It didn't take much to get me to say yes, but she didn't believe I'd come over just because she asked, so she tempted me with Ben & Jerry's, fresh watermelons and lime ice tea. She had already won me over when she mentioned Ben & Jerry's.

Surprisingly, I wasn't worried that Michael would be around. He would probably just be down at the beach surfing, and that didn't bother me at all. If he said the kiss meant nothing and things shouldn't have to be awkward between us, then that's the way it was going to be. I'd just go back to acting the way I used to around him.

I parked in their driveway and eagerly jumped out of my car. I walked in to their house like it was my own and spotted Melody in the kitchen, cutting up a fresh watermelon - just like she had promised.

"That looks good", I commented staring at the watermelon. She jumped a little as she clearly hadn't heard me come in.

"You know, when you walk into someone else's house, it's common decency to ring the doorbell, or at least say something like 'Hello' or 'Honey, I'm home'. It's really rude to just walk in and scare someone like that. You're lucky I didn't stab you with this knife, thinking you were a murderer", she said pretending to be mad at me for scaring her. I sent her an apologetic smile before sitting down on one of the barstools in front of the island in the middle of the kitchen.

"So, where's Michael?" I asked. For no other reason than keeping the conversation going. Maybe a little just to be sure if he was there or not. Not that I cared.

"Surfing. Why do you ask?" She didn't look up from the watermelon she was so brutally cutting up.

"No reason", I answered.

She looked up at me lifting an eyebrow and quickly looked back down so she wouldn't cut herself. "You need to stop doing that", she said.

"Doing what?"

"That thing where I ask you something and you say it's nothing, but then you have that secretively look, and I know it's something."

"I have no idea what you're talking about", I lied, trying to sound as convincing as possible. She sent me a look, trying to force the truth out of me. "I just wanted to know if he was around, is that so wrong?" I sighed hoping she would just drop it so I didn't accidentally spill that I was secretly in love with her brother, and that I might just be a smidge worried about bumping in to him, because we kissed at her little get together.

"Why? Do you have a crush on him or something?" I wanted to laugh her off, but her voice was shockingly serious. I was completely caught off guard.

"Yes, I have a crush on your brother, and last night I had sex with you boyfriend", I answered sarcastically in an attempt to joke away her question.

She looked up and grinned. "I was just messing with you."

"I could tell." Not really, but I couldn't let her know that. I had a feeling she was already suspicious, so there were no need to add anything else to her suspicion.

"So I've got the watermelon here, the ice teas are outside and the ice cream is in the freezer, do you mind grabbing them?" I nodded and opened the freezer under their refrigerator and took out two Ben & Jerry's, one Half-Baked for Melody and one Strawberry Cheesecake for me. I then followed her out on their patio that lead right down to the beach. I had always been jealous of her living on the beach. Even though I lived just across the road from the beach.