01

Black Canyon Base, 2145

"Please dont take her from me, Doctor!" I hear a man cry in terrible agony.

I look around but only see darkness. Heavy fog suddenly comes into view and I see three figures standing there. But I can't see who they are.

"Freeze them," a thunderous voice commands.

Two single screams grow louder until I find myself running away with my hands over my ears. But my efforts to drown out those horrid screams are in vain, growing louder and louder until I feel myself wanting to scream.

And I do.

"Blackbird!"

I sit up from my bed and open my eyes. Gasping for air I throw off my sheets and they silently land on the cold cement floor of my chamber.

"Agent Blackbird are you okay?"

Drops of sweats are running down my face and I put my hand on my chest, trying to slow down my breathing.

I hear the door to my room open and Agent River hurries in.

"I'm fine, Rivers," I manage to say before he reaches me, putting my hand in the air to make him stop in his tracks.

"You screamed," he begins to say, but quickly grows quiet.

I wave my hand in the air and he knows that it means I want space. Without saying anything else, Agent River retreats from my chamber and the door closes behind him with a swoosh. I look up and see his silhouette posted outside my room.

Taking another deep breath, I finally gather my thoughts. This short dream has been tormenting me for the past month. It's always the same, but sometimes the three figures appear as ghosts, sometimes deformed with long faces or
no eyes and gaping mouths.

These images shouldn't scare me. In reality, as an agent of the government branch, the SkyFall Association, I've seen worse. But for some unexplainable reason, these nightmares bother me.

A shiver runs down my spine and I quickly stand up, trying to shrug it off. I glance at the blue numbers on my wall and read the time.

0405

Knowing that my sleep won't return to me, I walk into my closet, quietly closing the door and turning on the lights. Leaning against it, I close my eyes for a brief second, but the nightmare is still fresh in my mind and I'm forced to open them again.

Frustration grips me and I look around my closet trying to find something to wear, distracting me from thinking any further. Rummaging through my endless black uniforms, I throw on a grey shirt before zipping a tight black jacket over it. I slip into black jeans and step into my black cargo boots.

I turn on the lights to my chamber and watch as the windows grow dark, blocking my view from seeing outside. This part of my room always confused me. Someone could be watching me on the other side and I wouldn't know.

When I was younger, I had asked my mother why there were so many cameras in my room. She had scolded me and said, "What did I say about asking questions!" I remember I had shrunk back and decide that, I, myself would find the answer to that question.

What I found wasn't pretty and got me in trouble. SkyFall was running experiments on some of the Apprentices and they observed how it affected them when they were alone or with people.

I was put in Solitary for two days. Although, I don't remember much except sleeping and not being able to wake up.

"Do you see what happens when you have questions?" my mother had asked after the two days were over.