Teacher's Pet

Lindsay Hart sat on the far north side of her lunch table, graciously admiring herself in the compact mirror she decided to keep in her purse. Olivia Brockway was on the opposite side of her, quickly scribbling away at the new script she had been ever so diligently working on. Vanessa Anderson, sitting to Olivia's left, was busy on some math problem or another that probably wasn't even due until next month. And Emma Johnson was just picking at her sharp nails, hoping for something to happen. 

"What have you been working oh-so hard on for almost all day?" Lindsay stuck her perfectly-formed nose into Olivia's notebook, reading through. 

She had been in the middle of a dramatic scene in which the main character, Kadie and Benjamin were fighting over something or another. Lindsay had guessed it had something to do with Ben's accusation of Kadie being a skank, which Emma read and reported in the morning. It had become a ritual that they updated each other on Olivia's scripts so they could recite them along with the character when watching them.

It was a stupid thing to do, but entertained Lindsay, Vanessa, and Emma thoroughly. The plus side was that Olivia usually got pretty pissed about it, too.

"We need a short script for drama, next period, and I totally forgot about it." Olivia's voice sounded rushed and urgent as she continued to wear down her pencil lead. "If I don't have this in, Kurt is going to murder me."

Kurt was the drama teacher of Gertiano High and he certainly played the part. Through the hallways, kids would always report his random singing outbursts. In class, if you were on his good side, he was hilarious. Constantly cracking jokes, setting up the craziest improv scenes, and just giving the most comical monologues he could come up with.

"Ooh, teacher's pet is in trouble," Emma grinned, joining Lindsay behind Olivia and trying to catch up with the current problem. Olivia was going too fast, changing the page she was writing every other second.

"I'm not a teacher's pet." Olivia snapped.

That was the first time Vanessa had seen Olivia's face since lunch started. Before that, it had been buried somewhere in her notebook. It wasn't the first time, but when she got in those moods, everyone got curious.

"You so are, but that's only because you have a crush on Kurt. Don't think we don't see you always checking him out." Vanessa raised an eye brow at Olivia, who had been flushed to a deep scarlet.

Before she could object, the entire table joined in with a chorus of agreements. 

Kurt was pretty hot for a teacher, but Olivia wasn't going to admit that. He was, like, forty and married. Way out of her league.

"Shut up, shut up," Olivia swatted them all away, finally giving up on the script she wasn't even halfway done with. She'd just have Benjamin die of a stroke in the next scene for an easy finish and quick A.

If there was one thing Kurt was--besides beyond insanely attractive--it was nice. He would give an A to almost everything Olivia did, whether it was terrible or not. And usually it was. Kurt would easily argue though, saying she was one of the most amazing actresses he's ever seen. That was one thing Olivia would admit she loved about him.

"We go through this conversation everyday." Lindsay laughed, placing her tiny butt in the plastic, orange chair. Some things just never changed. Their friendship would never change. "Everything's just the same."