The great Zambezi

The Zambezi region formerly known as the Caprivian region is named after the great Zambezi river, it has a great history that isn't always talked about. It is home to round about 100,000 Namibians. It is situated in the North East of Namibia. Many do not know it but this particular region is deemed to be the "gateway to Southern Africa".

The Zambezi region is a diverse cultural group with 6 major tribes, namely the Mayeyi, Matotela, Mafwe, Mashi, Subia and Silozi people. They are all Bantu groups which originates from the Niger-Congo family . A vast majority of Caprivian people are paternal  in exception of the Mafwe people, they believe that the mother is the backbone of the family so her ethnic identity is of greater importance than the fathers. If your mother is Mafwe and your father is Silozi your ethnic identity is Mafwe.

If asked about my favourite part of my Caprivian identity it would be the food! Katima mulilo is filled with lively street markets stocked with fresh produce available at each corner, ranging from bright red hand picked tomato's and everyone's favourite fruit, the green mango. Having lunch at the central open market is a must, fresh steaming hot pap is served with soup, spinach and the local delicacy, the Zambezi bream.

Fauna and flora, I love being in Katima Mulilo because of the change in environment as compared to Windhoek. There is an abundance of leafy, lusciously green dense vegetation with an immense variety of trees namely one of the widest trees, the baobab tree. There also happens to be a large number of wild animals such as Elephants, Hippos, crocodiles, buffalo, baboons and wild dogs to name a few. The infrastructure of most of the rural housing is very interesting too. Villagers use mud/clay , cow dung and straw to create huts. They use hardened reeds as fences. The Zambezi region is a great tourist attraction because of all these qualities,despite being extremely hot and humid. This region receives the highest amount of rainfall than any other region therefore it floods relatively easily.

The clothing is phenomenal, the chitenge is worn by all Caprivian women along with the traditional attire known as the Mushishi which consists of a head piece, blouse and a skirt that is flared and  lengthy towards the bottom end which comes is handy for the big traditional dances performed at weddings.